Esync on Debian?

Questions about Wine on Linux
LateralShift
Level 2
Level 2

Esync on Debian?

Post by LateralShift »

Hello,
I have been using wine-5.21 from the winehq repository and I understand that it allows "esync" which can improve performance, but using WINEESYNC=1 and WINEDEBUG=+esync doesn't seem to do anything. Do I have to build wine myself instead of using the one in the repository?
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Esync on Debian?

Post by jkfloris »

esync is available in the winehq-staging packages.
LateralShift
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LateralShift »

Ah, that's what it is. I was very new to Linux when I installed WINE and I forgot that the staging branch was a thing :oops: One last thing: the Debian wiki says that stable and devel can coexist using alternatives; can devel and staging coexist in the same way (without stable)? Thanks.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

The Wine packages from the official Debian repositories use the alternative system to switch between Wine versions.
The Wine packages from the WineHQ repository don't use this, but you can also install these packages side by side.
(You can also mix these two systems so you can have 5 Wine versions :D )

If you have already installed the winehq-devel package from the WineHQ repository, you can install wine-staging with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install --install-recommends wine-staging wine-staging-amd64 wine-staging-i386
In this way wine-devel remains the default wine installation
If you want to use wine-staging run

/opt/wine-staging/bin/wine program.exe
If you want to use wine-staging as the default wine installation, remove only the winehq-devel package
and install the winehq-staging package. You can run wine-devel with

/opt/wine-devel/bin/wine program.exe
I recommend to create different wine-prefixes for your different wine versions, because up/ downgrading a prefix isn't supported.
LateralShift
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LateralShift »

I wondered why I had both a winehq-devel and a wine-devel package. Now I can use esync! Thanks for the help :D