Requesting Help with Trading Softwares Functionality Test

Post by wneyin »

Requesting Help with Trading Softwares Functionality Test:
1. VectorVest7 software
https://www.vectorvest.com/vectorvest7download/
Installed successfully, but will not launch:
Errors Below:
julia@julia-Lenovo-IdeaPad-FLEX-14API:~/Downloads$ wine VectorVest.exe
0126:fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity (0x33ede8,-1,(nil),(nil),6,2,(nil),8192,(nil)) - stub!
0128:fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
0129:fixme:vbscript:parse_script parser failed around L"GetSpecialFolder = .Self.Path\n End With\n End With\nEnd Function\n"

2. Fidelity ActiveTrader Pro
https://www.fidelity.com/trading/advanc ... lsrc=aw.ds
Did Not Install SUccessfully
Error Message Below:

XML Parsing Error: no element found
Location: http://www.fidelity.com/webcontent/ATPI ... pplication
Line Number 1, Column 1:

Please Help.
I am on Linux Mint 19 And Need a Step By Step Guide to Be Able to Properly install wine and the programs along with required components.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Requesting Help with Trading Softwares Functionality Test

Post by jkfloris »

I got both programs working* with Wine 5.0.2 in a 32 bit prefix with dotnet471 and d3dcompiler_47
*) I don't have a login, so I can't test the full program.

1. Create a 32 bit prefix with dotnet471 and d3dcompiler_47

Code: Select all

WINEPREFIX=~/trading WINEARCH=win32 winetricks -q dotnet471 d3dcompiler_47
2. Install and run VectorVest7

# install
WINEPREFIX=~/trading wine setup.exe
# run
cd ~/trading/drive_c/Program\ Files/VectorVest/VectorVest\ 7/bin
WINEPREFIX=~/trading wine VVShell.exe
3. Install and run Fidelity ActiveTrader Pro

# install
# run (replace <username> with your username
cd ~/trading/drive_c/users/<username>/Start Menu/Programs/Fidelity\ Investments
WINEPREFIX=~/trading wine start Fidelity\ Active\ Trader\ Pro®.appref-ms
wneyin

Post by wneyin »

Thanks for this speedy response. I will try it out.
I might need a super newbie step by step guide to installing wine correctly and the programs.
wneyin

Post by wneyin »

Thanks. I am upgrading my system to Linux Mint 20 to be able to get the Wine 5.02 version. I am not sure whether the process would be straight forward or if I need to install other things.

I wish there was an easy step by step for beginners or newbies on how to install wine, setup wine and install the windows based software.

Please advise if opportuned. I will try this evening to see if I succeed.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

wneyin wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:11 pm Thanks. I am upgrading my system to Linux Mint 20 to be able to get the Wine 5.0.2 version. I am not sure whether the process would be straight forward or if I need to install other things.

I wish there was an easy step by step for beginners or newbies on how to install wine, setup wine and install the windows based software.
The instructions for installing wine-stable, on Ubuntu, are posted on the WineHQ Wiki: Ubuntu webpage.

Bob
z111110001100011

Post by z111110001100011 »

Has anyone tried these direction and gotten Active Trader Pro (ATP) to install and work?
I've tried this on 2 different machines both running 20.04, the WineHQ rep version of wine-stable, and the latest version of winetricks from git.
The 1st machine ATP wouldn't install, the exe just won't go so I played with the versions of Net Framework in the wineprefix and eventually got the install to start but it got stuck in a loop of trying to install Net Framework.
I've installed ATP successfully under Win10 and MacOS recently and both of them try to install Net Framework as part of the install process, even if Net Framework is already installed on the machine. ATP is not so well maintained anymore and pretty clunky in Win10; its native environment.
I tried installing on a 2nd machine with a clean install of 20.04.01, wine-stable again and no modifications to the wineprefix winetricks called out in this guide. The install ran but with a ton of errors in the counsel window and no attempt to install Net Framework. Wine can open ATP and get to the log in screen and you can login but then ATP just errors out with a very generic error message.
Bender, the Greatest

Post by Bender, the Greatest »

jkfloris wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:53 pm I got both programs working* with Wine 5.0.2 in a 32 bit prefix with dotnet471 and d3dcompiler_47
*) I don't have a login, so I can't test the full program.

1. Create a 32 bit prefix with dotnet471 and d3dcompiler_47

WINEPREFIX=~/trading WINEARCH=win32 winetricks -q dotnet471 d3dcompiler_47
2. Install and run VectorVest7

# install
# run
cd ~/trading/drive_c/Program\ Files/VectorVest/VectorVest\ 7/bin
WINEPREFIX=~/trading wine VVShell.exe
3. Install and run Fidelity ActiveTrader Pro

# install
# run (replace <username> with your username
cd ~/trading/drive_c/users/<username>/Start Menu/Programs/Fidelity\ Investments
WINEPREFIX=~/trading wine start Fidelity\ Active\ Trader\ Pro®.appref-ms
Thanks for the effort, I was able to get ActiveTraderPro to install and launch this way. Unfortunately it seizes up while loading after login and eventually crashes. I've tried a few different versions of Wine but each crashes in a different place, never fully loading after logging in.
gitter

Post by gitter »

z111110001100011 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:46 am Has anyone tried these direction and gotten Active Trader Pro (ATP) to install and work?
I've tried this on 2 different machines both running 20.04, the WineHQ rep version of wine-stable, and the latest version of winetricks from git.
The 1st machine ATP wouldn't install, the exe just won't go so I played with the versions of Net Framework in the wineprefix and eventually got the install to start but it got stuck in a loop of trying to install Net Framework.
I've installed ATP successfully under Win10 and MacOS recently and both of them try to install Net Framework as part of the install process, even if Net Framework is already installed on the machine. ATP is not so well maintained anymore and pretty clunky in Win10; its native environment.
I tried installing on a 2nd machine with a clean install of 20.04.01, wine-stable again and no modifications to the wineprefix winetricks called out in this guide. The install ran but with a ton of errors in the counsel window and no attempt to install Net Framework. Wine can open ATP and get to the log in screen and you can login but then ATP just errors out with a very generic error message.
How did you get it to work on the Mac? I have tried several times. ATP is broken 90% of the time when I tried to run it. Tried some of the suggestions here https://usefidelity.com/t/active-trader ... -on-mac/48 but still can't get it to work :(