Changing to 32bit apps in Wine 64

Questions about Wine on Linux
ineuw
Level 2
Level 2

Changing to 32bit apps in Wine 64

Post by ineuw »

Installed Wine 5 in Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon and it's a pleasure to work with. I use it for two Windows apps, Irfanview and TextPad 8, both 64bit versions. When using either app continuously for a period of time, they freeze the keyboard. I am able to close the app with the mouse. Would changing these apps to 32bit versions help? Also, is there a log that traces these keyboard freezes?
madewokherd
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Changing to 32bit apps in Wine 64

Post by madewokherd »

64-bit support is mature and unlikely to be related to this issue.

Debug channels that might be relevant are +event (shows if the keyboard messages are getting through on an X11 level), +win (shows focus changes), and +msg (shows whether messages like WM_KEYDOWN are getting to the application).
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Mint 20 itself no longer supports 32-bit native apps, but it does say in the release notes it keeps the things the wine and virtualbox need for 32-bit apps. Be sure you create a 32-bit wine prefix and use it when setting up your 32-bit Windows apps. I have a 32-bit Windows app that runs in wine in Mint 20 so it should work. However, I would suspect you might be better off keeping 64-bit.
ineuw
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ineuw »

Thanks for the help. I decided to keep 64bit apps because the alternatives are not worth the possible other issues.