Unable to run DriveThruRPG Library Client after deleting it initially from default WINEPREFIX

Questions about Wine on Linux
Predatorian3
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to run DriveThruRPG Library Client after deleting it initially from default WINEPREFIX

Post by Predatorian3 »

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything or include more information.

I am able to run the DriveThruRPG Library Client at least once on a Linux OS, be it Fedora or Pop!_OS or Ubuntu using Wine from the repositories, and then using something like Lutris or PlayOnLinux to "manage the install". However, after I remove the default WINEPRFIX, generally

Code: Select all

${HOME}/.wine/
then reinstall it into a separate bottle or even back into the default prefix, the application never loads again. I was able to generate WINEDEBUG=all output, but it was 84mb of file space and even compressed into a .tar.xz or .tar.bz2 is 4.3mb in size and too large to upload here as an attachment. The process of which I do to generate a new Wine Bottle is as follows:
  1. Create the directory to be the bottle.

mkdir ~/.local/wine/DriveThruRPG
  • Initialize the Wine Bottle

env WINEPREFIX=${HOME}/.local/wine/DriveThruRPG wineboot --init
  • Configure the Wine Bottle for Windows 10 using Winetricks

env WINEPREFIX=${HOME}/.local/wine/DriveThruRPG winetricks win10
  • Install .NET Framework 4.7.1

env WINEPREFIX=${HOME}/.local/wine/DriveThruRPG winetricks --force --unattended corefonts dotnet471
  • Run the installer.

env WINEPREFIX=${HOME}/.local/wine/DriveThruRPG wine ~/Downloads/DriveThruRPG_setup_v3.0.0.exe
  • Run the application.

env WINEPREFIX=${HOME}/.local/wine/DriveThruRPG wine start 'C:\Program Files\DriveThruRPG\drivethrurpg.exe'
Which then results in this...

➜  ~ env WINEPREFIX=${HOME}/.local/wine/DriveThruRPG wine ~/Downloads/DriveThruRPG_setup_v3.0.0.exe 
0039:err:module:import_dll Library dcomp.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\DriveThruRPG\\DriveThruRPG.exe") not found
0039:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Importing dlls for L"C:\\Program Files\\DriveThruRPG\\DriveThruRPG.exe" failed, status c0000135
➜  ~ env WINEPREFIX=${HOME}/.local/wine/DriveThruRPG wine start 'C:\Program Files\DriveThruRPG\drivethrurpg.exe'
➜  ~ 002c:err:module:import_dll Library dcomp.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\DriveThruRPG\\drivethrurpg.exe") not found
002c:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Importing dlls for L"C:\\Program Files\\DriveThruRPG\\drivethrurpg.exe" failed, status c0000135
I collected logs using the following command

env WINEDEBUG=all WINEPREFIX=${HOME}/.local/wine/DriveThruRPG wine start 'C:\Program Files\DriveThruRPG\drivethrurpg.exe' > DTRPG_Fail.log 2>&1
I'm not sure if Lutris does something funky first time to make it work, or if there is some sort of metadata that is left somewhere that the application reads and then fails or what not.

DriveThruRPG Library Client Operating System and Hardware Information

➜  ~ neofetch 
             /////////////                filbot@oryx-pop 
         /////////////////////            --------------- 
      ///////*767////////////////         OS: Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS x86_64 
    //////7676767676*//////////////       Host: Oryx Pro oryp6 
   /////76767//7676767//////////////      Kernel: 5.4.0-7642-generic 
  /////767676///*76767///////////////     Uptime: 7 hours, 34 mins 
 ///////767676///76767.///7676*///////    Packages: 2221 (dpkg), 46 (flatpak) 
/////////767676//76767///767676////////   Shell: zsh 5.8 
//////////76767676767////76767/////////   Resolution: 1920x1080 
///////////76767676//////7676//////////   DE: GNOME 
////////////,7676,///////767///////////   WM: Mutter 
/////////////*7676///////76////////////   WM Theme: Pop 
///////////////7676////////////////////   Theme: Pop-dark [GTK2/3] 
 ///////////////7676///767////////////    Icons: Pop [GTK2/3] 
  //////////////////////'////////////     Terminal: gnome-terminal 
   //////.7676767676767676767,//////      CPU: Intel i7-10875H (16) @ 5.100GHz 
    /////767676767676767676767/////       GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 
      ///////////////////////////         GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 
         /////////////////////            Memory: 3890MiB / 31987MiB 
             /////////////
WINE Information

➜  ~ wine --version
wine-5.0 (Ubuntu 5.0-3ubuntu1)
➜  ~ apt list wine
Listing... Done
wine/focal,focal,now 5.0-3ubuntu1 all [installed,automatic]
➜  ~ winetricks --version
20200412-next - sha256sum: 6f57ead2f28148ef7d801b1c0dbf10cf327d22b2fcbe0f742dd1579097f66635
➜  ~ apt list winetricks
Listing... Done
winetricks/focal,focal,now 0.0+20200412-1 all [installed,automatic]
➜  ~ 
.NET Framework version
artix
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unable to run DriveThruRPG Library Client after deleting it initially from default WINEPREFIX

Post by artix »

If you leave it in ~/.wine , you can run it as many times as you want?

You can try some things like:
  • not to delete it, just to move the profile.
  • install it directly to the ~/.local/wine/DriveThruRPG folder.
  • winetricks xisolate_home
  • winetricks xsandbox
  • to move the installer within the profile, and remove the / drive , and any other drive other than c:
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Unable to run DriveThruRPG Library Client after deleting it initially from default WINEPREFIX

Post by spoon0042 »

Do you have a good reason to change the windows version to 10? Have you tried with the default which is 7?
Predatorian3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Predatorian3 »

I opened a ticket with the DriveThruRPG team, and I guess there's been a few issues with the latest version of their software. Something about DirectX versions and such. The provided a link to the FTP server that had the older version of the software on it. When I installed the previous version I had before that worked, I experienced no issues, I just have to make sure to not upgrade my current DriveThruRPG install.

HOWEVER, I now know that I should create a new Wine Bottle to put this new installation of DriveThruRPG in so as to not mess with the older, working version.

@atrix, I was frantically trying things out instead of walking away and cooling down first.

@spoon0042, I thought that maybe since it's a newer version they were using Windows 10 specific DLLs or something. In the support ticket, they did say they were having issues with the new installer working on Windows 8 and older installs. That also prompted me to try again with the Windows 10 version.
Predatorian3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Predatorian3 »

So, thinking about this and retrying on both Win7 and Win10, I received the same error regardless of Windows type.

+ env WINEPREFIX=/home/filbot/.local/wine/DriveThruRPG_v3.0.0 wine start 'C:\Program Files\DriveThruRPG\drivethrurpg.exe'
000d:err:module:__wine_process_init L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe" not found
000b:err:wineboot:process_run_key Error running cmd L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r" (126).
001b:err:ntoskrnl:ZwLoadDriver failed to create driver L"\\Registry\\Machine\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\wineusb": c0000142
0026:err:module:import_dll Library dcomp.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\DriveThruRPG\\drivethrurpg.exe") not found
0026:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Importing dlls for L"C:\\Program Files\\DriveThruRPG\\drivethrurpg.exe" failed, status c0000135
So I believe this has something to do with dcomp.dll which is part of DirectX. This may be what is causing my issues.