Can Wine Run NBTExplorer .exe or .msi?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
JohnForte
Level 1
Level 1

Can Wine Run NBTExplorer .exe or .msi?

Post by JohnForte »

I can not get the .exe or .msi of NBTExplorer 2.8.0, the latest release, to run on my iMac with Wine 5.0 Stable. I am using macOS 10.14.6. I include here the link to the version of NBTExplorer that I am trying to run, and my iMac's specs. I then include the Wine terminal outputs for both the .exe and .msi of NBTExplorer. Thank you for your time.

NBTExplorer 2.8.0: https://github.com/jaquadro/NBTExplorer ... v2.8.0-win

Model Identifier: iMac16,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 236.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.32f21

NBTExplorer.exe terminal output:

JFLate2015iMac:~ apple$ wine NBTExplorer.exe
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:49: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:49: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
0009:err:module:__wine_process_init L"C:\\windows\\system32\\NBTExplorer.exe" not found
JFLate2015iMac:~ apple$

NBTExplorer-2.8.0.msi terminal output:

JFLate2015iMac:~ apple$ wine msiexec /i NBTExploror-2.8.0.msi

While there is a version of NBTExplorer for Macs, it has greatly reduced functionality compared to the Windows version.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Can Wine Run NBTExplorer .exe or .msi?

Post by jkfloris »

0009:err:module:__wine_process_init L"C:\\windows\\system32\\NBTExplorer.exe" not found
Did you run the wine command in the directory where NBTExplorer.exe is?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

You need to first install .Net 4.0 using winetricks and then cd into the exe’s directory to get it running.
JohnForte
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnForte »

jkfloris wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:44 am
Did you run the wine command in the directory where NBTExplorer.exe is?
I am quite sure that I did, but if I didn’t, what would I need to do? Sorry, I am new to Wine. Maybe I missed something.
JohnForte
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnForte »

Gcenx wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:00 am You need to first install .Net 4.0 using winetricks and then cd into the exe’s directory to get it running.
Thank you! What would I do once I cd into the directory?
JohnForte
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnForte »

So I used Homebrew to install winetricks, but here is my problem when trying to install .Net 4.0:

JFLate2015iMac:~ apple$ winetricks dotnet40
warning: taskset/cpuset not available on your platform!
------------------------------------------------------
wineserver not found!
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

JohnForte wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:35 pm So I used Homebrew to install winetricks, but here is my problem when trying to install .Net 4.0:

wineserver not found!
This means wines bin directory isn’t found in PATH.

The recommend way to install wine is using the brew command provided on the macOS section this will automatically add the installed version of wine into PATH
JohnForte
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnForte »

Gcenx wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:27 am
JohnForte wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:35 pm So I used Homebrew to install winetricks, but here is my problem when trying to install .Net 4.0:

wineserver not found!
This means wines bin directory isn’t found in PATH.

The recommend way to install wine is using the brew command provided on the macOS section this will automatically add the installed version of wine into PATH
Thank you very much. I now have Wine Stable and Winetricks installed with Homebrew, and have successfully installed .Net 40 with Winetricks. Here is my current, and hopefully last, problem:

JFLate2015iMac:~ apple$ cd NBTExplorer.exe
-bash: cd: NBTExplorer.exe: No such file or directory
MDHsLat2015iMac:~ apple$
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

The cd command is used to change directories

When you first open terminal it defaults to ~ aka home.

In my case this would be /Users/gcenx

Now let’s assume I downloaded the zip and extracted it

I’d need to run cd Downloads, now if the exe isn’t within a sub folder I can run

wine NBTExplorer.exe