want to come over to linux but question/s on W.I.N.E.

Questions about Wine on Linux
pax-eterna
Level 2
Level 2

want to come over to linux but question/s on W.I.N.E.

Post by pax-eterna »

I am seriously considering making the switch (in particular to ElementaryOs) but I have nagging doubts about the efficacy of WINE...not for my major apps, as I am happy to use the Linux alternatives. I've already checked these, but it is the small utility apps I use with my music gear I am concerned about.

I have tried Linux before and tried to run these apps under WINE but none of them even installed properly let alone ran!

These are small executables, for example a PC editor for my keyboard, another for a drum machine (which btw is the ONLY way it can be programmed), among others, you'd really call them "applets" tbh

So, yeah, does WINE actually work, or is it ( and derivatives like PlayOnLinux)) just for specific apps only, gaming and not really for generic use?

Thanks

PS: Not interested in dual booting at all!
PPS: the guys over at Linux Questions directed me here :)
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: want to come over to linux but question/s on W.I.N.E.

Post by jkfloris »

As long as the program does not rely on Windows drivers, there is a chance it will work with Wine as well.
Maybe you can find your "apps" and how well they run in the AppDB.
pax-eterna
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pax-eterna »

Thanks - already checked all the WINE DB's I could find - these are pretty low user level apps (although not for those folks who use the devices).

When you say "does not rely on Windows drivers" could you possibly expand on that a little? Do you mean does it rely on DLL's?
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Some hardware requires a special Windows driver. These drivers won't work in Wine, so make sure your hardware is supported by Linux.
You could test with a Live Linux distro if all your hardware is recognized.
Knoppix has even built in (an older version) of Wine, so you can also test your Windows programs.
pax-eterna
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pax-eterna »

cooly, thanks
big_pecas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by big_pecas »

Good morning.

I suggest you choose dual boot and run both systems in different HDDs. You will choose operational systems at inicialization machine.

Another way it's run Windows and manteining Linux on Virtual Machine, or you can buy a machine to run only Windows and other to run only Linux.

Wine is a very good option, but it's so much better run Windows applications at the ambience correctly. If you work with music it will be better.

Have a fine end week.