Problem with Direct 3D?

Questions about Wine on Linux
jlturriff
Level 2
Level 2

Problem with Direct 3D?

Post by jlturriff »

I've dabbled with wine in the past, but my experience is minimal.
I'm trying to get trueSpace 7.6.1, which I downloaded from https://truespace.en.softonic.com/ to work; it's description on the download page says,
"It's available for users with the operating system Windows 98 and former versions, and it is only available in English. Its current version is 7.61 and its last update on 9/28/2009."
I first installed the newest version of wine from the OpenSuSE Leap 15.1 (64 bit) distro's repository:
$ wine --version
wine-3.7

At first I got a slew of errors when I ran tS7.exe, but with winecfg I figured out how to change the windows version to 98, and now I'm down to one error:
fixme:ddraw:DirectDrawEnumerateExA flags 0x00000006 not handled
(The program opens its little splash screen, then locks up.)
In a thread about a similar problem, viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22400&p=94049&hilit ... led#p94049, a responder suggested modifying some Registry settings for D3D, but gave no details. Is that the way to go, and what might I change? or is there another solution?
jlturriff
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Problem with Direct 3D?

Post by jlturriff »

Okay, after reading Confusion about Wine packaged by OpenSuSE
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29760&p=113054#p113054 I added http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... Leap_15.1/ to zypper, uninstalled wine and mono, then reinstalled from the proper repository:

Code: Select all

@08:26:34,root@pinto
~
█ [b]zypper lr -u[/b]
#  | Alias                     | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh | Priority | URI
---+---------------------------+---------+-----------+---------+----------+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 3 | RPMrepository             | Yes     | ( p) Yes  | Yes     |   96     | dir:/usr/local/RPMrepository
 8 | openSUSE_Leap_15.1        | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   97     | http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Leap_15.1/
19 | trinity-noarch            | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   97     | http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity/rpm/opensuse15.1/trinity-r14/RPMS/noarch
20 | trinity-x86_64            | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   97     | http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity/rpm/opensuse15.1/trinity-r14/RPMS/x86_64
 5 | Wine                      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | No      |   98     | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_Leap_15.1/
Then, because TrueSpace is a Windows NT package, I created a new WINEPREFIX as described in the FAQ:

$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wineNT winecfg
and changed the default Windows version to NT.
This seemed to work okay, so I set up an alias to point to it:

$ alias wineNT='WINEPREFIX=~/.wineNT wine'
Then I started the TrueSpace installer:

$ wineNT /usr/local/Downloads/Packages/Non-RPMs/Windoze/NT/TrueSpace.exe
I got an error message for what's apparently everything in my ~/.local/share/applications/ directory, then a little window appeared, saying it only runs in NT 5:

https://c.mail.com/@649596501445582267/ ... wZHNBindwg
(I tried using the img tags but it complained about the image size (quite small).)

What should I do to resolve this? winecfg's list of Windows versions doesn't include NT 5.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

The program literally tells you it needs NT 5 (Windows XP), why did you set the Windows version to Win98?

Make sure to use Wine 5.x, that should give better results.
jlturriff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jlturriff »

I beg your pardon. Originally I had thought that it was a 98 package, but later changed it (as you can see in my last post) to NT; yet there is no selection available for NT 5, as can be seen in this image https://c.mail.com/@649596501445582267/ ... k4oyXGvXgQ
(Um, am I supposed to know that NT 5 is XP? I know little about Windoze.)

And I am running wine 5.16.
$ wine --version
wine-5.16

And, now that I know that NT5 == XP, making that change made the installer work. Thank you.

Next issue:

$ wineNT .wineNT/drive_c/trueSpace761/tS/tS7.exe
00c4:err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\CyllarusCentaur\\.wineNT\\drive_c\\trueSpace761\\tS\\TsCommon.dll") not found
00c4:err:module:import_dll Library TsCommon.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\CyllarusCentaur\\.wineNT\\drive_c\\trueSpace761\\tS\\tsxapi.dll") not found
00c4:err:module:import_dll Library tsxapi.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\CyllarusCentaur\\.wineNT\\drive_c\\trueSpace761\\tS\\tS7.exe") not found
00c4:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Importing dlls for L"Z:\\home\\CyllarusCentaur\\.wineNT\\drive_c\\trueSpace761\\tS\\tS7.exe" failed, status c0000135
[2]+  Exit 53                 WINEPREFIX=~/.wineNT wine .wineNT/drive_c/trueSpace761/tS/tS7.exe
Where would I find MFC42.DLL, TsCommon.dll and tsxapi.dll?
Last edited by jlturriff on Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

jlturriff wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:39 am Where would I find MFC42.DLL, TsCommon.dll and tsxapi.dll?
You don't need TsCommon.dll and tsxapi.dll - they can't be loaded because mfc42.dll is missing. Fix that with "winetricks mfc42".

However, there is a host of other issues preventing me from running the program, see my bugreport: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49833
jlturriff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jlturriff »

Looks like you're making progress. How do we attach that bug report to the appdb entry?
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Well, not progress really, just collecting data in case someone wants to dive deeper into that. Feel free to link that to the appdb, good idea!

Although I wonder, how did that reviewer in the appdb get trueSpace 7.6 working with wine 3.13? I tried with that old version, but no luck!
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

@ jlturriff
I managed to get trueSpace running, what a mess. If you just want to use it, check out the bugreport on how to.
jlturriff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jlturriff »

DarkShadow44 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:41 pm Well, not progress really, just collecting data in case someone wants to dive deeper into that. Feel free to link that to the appdb, good idea!
I would, but I can't see how it's done. (I'm not much more of a hand at bugzilla, etc. than with wine.) :-)
jlturriff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jlturriff »

Wow! Thank you very much. I will do that.
jlturriff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jlturriff »

The program appears to work after applying the suggested winetricks; at least, it succeeds in opening the main window. I will perform further checks to determine if I am able to do useful work with it.
jlturriff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jlturriff »

jlturriff wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:11 pm
DarkShadow44 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:41 pm Well, not progress really, just collecting data in case someone wants to dive deeper into that. Feel free to link that to the appdb, good idea!
I would, but I can't see how it's done. (I'm not much more of a hand at bugzilla, etc. than with wine.) :-)
I have added bug# 49833 to the AppDB for TrueSpace 7.6.
jlturriff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jlturriff »

Well, the program is working, but there are some GUI and graphics problems.

When trying to scroll or rotate the image of the object being worked on the action stops when the cursor passes beyond the edge of the image window. That doesn't happen with other3D packages; and because the on-screen control that makes that work is in the lower right corner of the window, the cursor leaves the window really quickly when moving in certain directions.

When it does work, in "Object" mode (as opposed to "Workspace" mode), the image doesn't properly overwrite older ones as its orientation changes (see attached images).

So perhaps there are some other settings with regards to graphics that still need to be tweaked.
Attachments
After rotation
After rotation
Before rotation
Before rotation
jlturriff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jlturriff »

This is irritating: I can't add a comment to the AppDB entry for TrueSpace 7.6 because "there is no maintainer". I don't feel that I qualify to become one because I'm really new to wine.

Because of the above, I'm going to put this link into this problem report (a better place than nowhere at all):
This package of full documentation for TrueSpace 7.6 is not included on most of the sites that provide the application for downloading.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

There seem to be some Z order issues with trueSpace as well, don't know a few for those though. See https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45147