Foobar2000 (music player)

Questions about Wine on Linux
13hm13
Level 1
Level 1

Foobar2000 (music player)

Post by 13hm13 »

This post is about some issues I'm having with the popular, free open-source fb2k program that has a strong Windows platform and userbase.
I am running fb2k via WINE. fb2k allows one right click a file or folder (from its main user window), and that does bring up a pop up "File Manager" of fb2k's own design. One can't, e.g., click a JPEG file -- to open a JPEG file -- or click a folder to open that folder.
Is there any way fb2k can be made (forced) to use a Linux File Manager?
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Foobar2000 (music player)

Post by spoon0042 »

Can you be more specific? What I'm seeing is in the main playlist window I can right click an entry and the closest thing I see is 'Open Containing Folder' which opens wine's implementation of explorer. I think anyway. Is that what you're getting? And what are you expecting that isn't happening? If you mean you can't open a jpeg from there it may be possible to make that work. If you want fb2k to directly open a linux file manager that may not be possible if what it's doing is just invoking explorer.
13hm13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 13hm13 »

spoon0042 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:51 pm Can you be more specific? What I'm seeing is in the main playlist window I can right click an entry and the closest thing I see is 'Open Containing Folder' which opens wine's implementation of explorer. I think anyway. Is that what you're getting? And what are you expecting that isn't happening? If you mean you can't open a jpeg from there it may be possible to make that work. If you want fb2k to directly open a linux file manager that may not be possible if what it's doing is just invoking explorer.
Yes, what you describe above is EXACTLY my experience . After 'Open Containing Folder' (of, say, a music track) , I get a small "File-Manager"-like popup [Containing Folder] that is full of the source files for music album (including jpegs, cue, txt, log, flac, wav, etc). Try to open any file (or drag anything into that Containing Folder') and an Error pops up--see attach.
I assume this means Foobar2000 does not have a complete Wine implementation?
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-09-14_21-41-04.jpg
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Right, that's what I got, the other day at least. Now though I can double click a .jpg and it opens wine's gecko-based iexplore and I don't quite know what changed. But anyway. Like I said that's wine's built-in explorer and works like windows as far as file associations go, stuff's in the registry. If you want to launch a linux program to open something you can see the faq here. Or you can check / fix it so jpegs open in iexplore. Or whatever else.