Can't start windows application using File Manager context menu without terminal

Questions about Wine on Linux
meyer
Level 3
Level 3

Can't start windows application using File Manager context menu without terminal

Post by meyer »

Hi,

i open *.avs-files (avisynth files) with avspmod (a script editor for avs files). Both - avisynth and avspmod - are windows applications. I can open avs files without problems when i first start avspmod and then open the file. But its easier to open the file using the thunar context menu. This worked on ubuntu 18.04 but i have problem on ubuntu 20.04. There is a *.desktop file in my home dir:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=env WINEPREFIX=/home/USER/.wine wine "/home/USER/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/AvsPmod/AvsPmod.exe" %N
Icon=application-x-wine-extension-avs
Name=AvsPmod
NoDisplay=true
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
Type=Application
When i try to open the avs file i see the avspmod window for a short moment thens its closed. When i change "Terminal=false" to "Terminal=true" a terminal is opened and avspmod works without problems. What is the difference when i open the app with a terminal and without a terminal? How can i see the error when the window is closed intermittently?
madewokherd
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Can't start windows application using File Manager context menu without terminal

Post by madewokherd »

I don't know what the difference is, but you might be able to troubleshoot by calling xdg-open from the terminal.
meyer
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can't start windows application using File Manager context menu without terminal

Post by meyer »

How can i do this?
madewokherd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by madewokherd »

xdg-open filename.avs

This assumes you've set the application as the default for opening .avs files.
meyer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by meyer »

Then i have the samesituation as when i open it with

Code: Select all

terminal=true
its works because a terminal window is opened.