Some questions about WINE and 3D Hardware...

Questions about Wine on Linux
GusCE6
Level 2
Level 2

Some questions about WINE and 3D Hardware...

Post by GusCE6 »

Hello, everyone. Hope you are all all right at this time.

After almost a year of waiting to get it back from the shop- yeah, I was fairly patient- I once again have the 2001 Sony. As of this instant it is only XP in Safe mode...and Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid, the best it can do because it is so ancient.

It has a curious installation with WINE: first SFS 1.7 followed by PET 3.1. Without both you do not get it to work AND get the adjustments ability (e.g. native vs. built in DLL files).

Obviously there are games that do not work. The Media Player Lite does not work. Oh well.

When playing "Plants vs. Zombies" you do not have the ability to use 3D acceleration. However, this option IS available in XP mode on the same device.

So- how can one get it in this case?

Also, is it possible to install that NET and MONO offline?

2001 Sony VAIO, 256MB RAM, Pentium 3 800MHz processor, lots of available space. 16-Bit color, 1024h x 768v resolution.

And if anyone knows where I can download some games and media players for it, that would be nice.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Some questions about WINE and 3D Hardware...

Post by spoon0042 »

GusCE6 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:25 pm It has a curious installation with WINE: first SFS 1.7 followed by PET 3.1. Without both you do not get it to work AND get the adjustments ability (e.g. native vs. built in DLL files).
I don't understand what this means, are those the versions of wine you have available?
Obviously there are games that do not work. The Media Player Lite does not work. Oh well.

When playing "Plants vs. Zombies" you do not have the ability to use 3D acceleration. However, this option IS available in XP mode on the same device.

So- how can one get it in this case?
3D would require support at every level, wine, X, kernel. Which may be difficult. First thing would be to identify your video device, 'lspci' or 'inxi -G' would help.
Also, is it possible to install that NET and MONO offline?
You can download and install the .msi files from the winehq server, or put them where wine looks for them -- https://dl.winehq.org/wine/wine-gecko/ and https://dl.winehq.org/wine/wine-mono/ -- and you can check the wiki for which versions are needed. You may be able to leave them uninstalled if you don't need them though.
2001 Sony VAIO, 256MB RAM, Pentium 3 800MHz processor, lots of available space. 16-Bit color, 1024h x 768v resolution.

And if anyone knows where I can download some games and media players for it, that would be nice.
On the linux side there's mplayer which has been around forever and by default just runs from a terminal. There may be packages or the site is here: https://mplayerhq.hu
GusCE6
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GusCE6 »

1) Yes, those are the versions- one is an SFS file and the other is a PET file. You must first set the SFS file to "load;" after that you install the PET file normally. It is the only way to get everything working. Those numbers do indicate the versions involved.

2) That may be tricky for me. The Sony itself has an older Intel Integrated chip. I'm assuming that since 3D hardware acceleration IS available in XP mode but NOT in Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid/WINE mode that it's actually the driver that is the problem here; the chip is always the same. How would I identify the video device?

3) Some of the apps and games I've tried using do indicate that they need these things. Hopefully your links will solve this problem!

4) The other night I discovered the problem the VLC Player (1.17) was having: a simple uncheck of an acceleration box. Thus in Puppy Linux mode the video playing ability nearly equals the XP mode, that base is covered. Adding to that was finding two portable video converters that work and work VERY well, I can even convert MOV camera videos to SWF-Flash files. In Puppy Linux mode. So these are yet other abilities no longer limited to XP mode.
The really big issue is playing games. Some are obviously hopeless, but some- like "Running Sheep" and "Kiki the Nanobot"- should. But thanks to WINE some do work, including "Foxtail" (via SCUMMVM 2.2), and all DOS games do as well.
The GNOME Player has always been there, but has trouble playing 480p videos like "The Running Man." The VLC Player handles it much better.
Do you know of any free Linux games that would work?

Thanks for the information! :)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

GusCE6 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:26 pm ...
2) That may be tricky for me. The Sony itself has an older Intel Integrated chip. I'm assuming that since 3D hardware acceleration IS available in XP mode but NOT in Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid/WINE mode that it's actually the driver that is the problem here; the chip is always the same. How would I identify the video device?
Assuming you can get a working of inxi installed, then:

Code: Select all

inxi -CG
should be enough to identify your CPU and graphics card / IGP.

Bob