INTERNAL ERROR: Cannot create temporary directory!

Questions about Wine on Linux
rawrmonster

Post by rawrmonster »

I have an internal application that was written by my job. I can get it to run but I have to run it as sudo wine and the program name. I have tried the following with out sucess.
1.) Create a winebottle using the command "WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Wine/CustomerToolkit winetricks"
2.) Inside of the winetricks I installed dotnet4.8 and corefonts
3.) Ran winecfg in the winebottle to make the os version windows 7 which works if I run it as root but not as my normal user. (I know this is not recommended that is why I am creating the case)
4.) Try to run the command "WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Wine/CustomerToolkit wine ~/Wine/CustomerToolkit/drive_c/users/chris/Desktop/CustomerSuccessToolkit0811/CustomerSuccessToolkit.exe"
5.) When I run this program I get the error "INTERNAL ERROR: Cannot create temporary directory!"

There is no linux equivelient to this program. I really hope someone can help me out here and I know it will run under wine but I am just not comfortable running it as root. I know the application is safe though.
rawrmonster

Post by rawrmonster »

I am running wine 5.1 from ubuntu but when I create a wine prefix and tried to run a program I keep getting the error "INTERNAL ERROR: Cannot create temporary directory!" I can tell that you that the wine prefix shows owned by my user and every folder underneath it. I have spun up a vm with ubuntu as well and I was able to get the program to run correctly if I issue the sudo command but I know it is not recommended. The program is written by my company so I know it is a safe application but I am trying to make sure that I follow best practices on this. I have also tried to run this using playonlinux and I get the same error. From what I can tell it is trying to access /root/.wine but that is not a directory and I am not sure why it is reaching for this path anyways. I do not mind capturing any logs that is needed or if you want a copy of the applicaton it is not sensitive as we are allowed to give it out as well. I have been trying to get this to work with out sudo for several days now and starting to loose faith that I will ever be able to run this correctly.
qwertymnb
Level 4
Level 4

Re: INTERNAL ERROR: Cannot create temporary directory!

Post by qwertymnb »

Hi,

this looks to me similar as bug reported in https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49504

I don`t know how to fix the bug, but I attached a hack that allowed me to start that program;

(If that hack allows your program to start too, than at least you know there`s no need to file a bugreport, and that bug is reproducible with free program (easier for developers if they want to test it))

Regards
rawrmonster

Post by rawrmonster »

Can you show me how this is supposed to work? Sorry I am a little bit of a noob here.
rawrmonster

Post by rawrmonster »

Can you please explain this a little more so I know how to try this in ubuntu 20.04 to see if this will fix my issue?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

rawrmonster wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:56 pm Can you please explain this a little more so I know how to try this in ubuntu 20.04 to see if this will fix my issue?
@rawrmonster

You would need to build Wine from source, applying qwertymnb's patch:
sad_hack.patch

If you want to attempt this... Warning: this can be tricky, for less experienced users!!

I do have a Wine / Wine Staging build script, for Debian / Ubuntu, available on Github...
See: GitHub: bobwya / build-multilib-wine.

Bob