Wine 5.0.1 stable, problems with Legacy Family Tree 9

Questions about Wine on Linux
fargodwe

Wine 5.0.1 stable, problems with Legacy Family Tree 9

Post by fargodwe »

I use 2 programs for my genealogy.

GedStarPro which now works in the stable branch - yeah! Thank you!

Legacy Family Tree 9 full version, which has always worked fine in previous Wine versions, though at the time I always had to use the staging branch of wine.

Upon reinstall of Linux Mint (fell back to 18.3) I loaded wine again trying the stable branch first. GedStarPro previously required the staging branch hence why Legacy 9 was running in the staging branch.

Legacy 9 now has some quirky display problems. I can go 3 or 4 generations in following descendants and it suddenly shows the previous generations children, not the current. If I click on 1 of those it does go to the correct child, so the children's names are being displayed incorrectly. Going back a generation and it is displayed ok, though the information in the child's name in scrambled up a bit.

I checked the database and it is ok - it's just the displaying of information that gets mixed up.

This is a new problem since going to 5.0.1 stable.

I tried with the development branch but the problem persists. So, I tried to install the staging branch but that installation failed with errors (tried 3 times). So I'm back to stable which i prefer anyway.

I know in the past I needed to install allfonts but that hadn't been needed the last couple of versions I had use. This didn't help this time. since I have a 64-bit prefix a lot of the fonts probably don't matter since they are 32-bit.

Perhaps I need another dll or something, but I have no idea.

Wine Prefix LEGACY
Wine Arch win64
Windows type in winecfg window set to Windows 10. The program requires Windows 10,

There has been an update to Legacy 9 and I have tried that to no avail as well.

Thank you for any ideas.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wine 5.0.1 stable, problems with Legacy Family Tree 9

Post by spoon0042 »

fargodwe wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:04 pm Wine Prefix LEGACY
Wine Arch win64
Windows type in winecfg window set to Windows 10. The program requires Windows 10,

There has been an update to Legacy 9 and I have tried that to no avail as well.

Thank you for any ideas.
I don't think it actually needs win 10? I still have the free version here and was able to install and run with the default win 7 setting anyway. Setting win 10 unnecessarily can cause problems.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Hummm......I know from the Legacy 9 testers that it was supposed to require Windows 10. That's why I put Windows 10 as the Windows version in wine.

Deleted prefix, recreated and selected Windows 7. Ran extremely slow and would hang. Tried getting rid of my files (they are backed up on my server) and using the sample. Again extremely slow and would hang. Tried just changing to Windows 10 in winecfg and it helped the speed although it seems any secondary windows are hidden behind the main window and I lose the linux status bar across the bottom (running Mate desktop). However, on the sample it did not get "confused". I only go about 4 generations in on my file and it starts acting flaky again.

Like I said it did work in previous staging branch, and while I'm not positive I want to say it worked when I was running Mint 20 using the Focal stable branch.

I'd go back to Mint 20 but there is something strange there where it doesn't recognize my laptop panel so it defaults to a very high resolution and I can't change it. I need a little less so I can read things ;)

All things considered for where I currently am (Mint 18.3 64-bit/Mate desktop) I guess I can try installing Mint 20 again to be sure it works there but I HATE losing a resolution I can actually see ;)

I guess I'll do that later tonight and test Legacy again. That would at least say it works in the Focal 5.0.1 stable branch but not in the one I am currently running (xenial 5.0.1 stable branch). ** IF ** that ends up being true I wouldn't want to open a can of worms again.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

So, I installed linux Mint 20 again, then wine stable for focal, then Legacy. Same problem! As a last resort I restored my family file from a backup (last was June of 2019 so I hope I hadn't changed much!). Now everything works again.