Cannot play game SWGB as non-root using .iso / 'wine: Read access denied for device'

Questions about Wine on Linux
mcfudge

Cannot play game SWGB as non-root using .iso / 'wine: Read access denied for device'

Post by mcfudge »

So flashback to 2002 with Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns v1.1

Gameplay under WINE cannot begin due to this error - wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\R:\\", FS volume label and serial are not available.

Using Ubuntu 20.04 and Wine 5.0 I have installed the game using my CD1 install iso CD image. There were no problems with installation. After mounting my CD2 gameplay CD iso and then running the game from a user level account it starts OK with intro menus and audio working -- but fails to actually play when it checks for the mounted CD-ROM iso. You get the above read access error message in the terminal as soon as you press the Single Player game button. The game displays the error "You must insert a game CD to play a single-player game, and then restart Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. [OK]"

However when running the game as root it plays fine with no read access error, but lacks audio. It seems like there should be a pretty quick permissions fix but I cannot find it. I have done a lot of searching and have not found the solution yet. Can anyone help with this? Thanks in advance!! (I am new here, have read the forum posting guidelines, FAQ, searched the AppDB, searched other posts, etc, etc)

winecfg shows I have confirmed the mounted drive exists as R: device /dev/loop79 and no label and serial are displayed. I can browse to the files without a problem.
winetricks advises I'm using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX, and Regedit shows the HKLM game CDPath is correctly set to R:
I am concerned this problem with occur with any game or app under wine that does a CD check.