Wine 64 Cannot see Pulseaudio

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
zimbodel
Level 2
Level 2

Wine 64 Cannot see Pulseaudio

Post by zimbodel »

I want to use Pulseaudio with wine, but all that comes up in applications on wine is a soundcard on my HDMI video card which I definitely dont want to use.

Since I use 64 Wine, I cannot use winetricks. (It says I have a 64-bit prefix)

So how do I get sound forwarded to pulseaudio in 64 bit Wine. ?

As you can see in the link below, only a silly hdmi sound card is recognised, All the dropdowns only show the hdmi audio device.
I need to see pulseaudio in the dropdown or JACK or if it must ALSA.

https://i.imgur.com/hzpOFqZ.png
zimbodel
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine 64 Cannot see Pulseaudio

Post by zimbodel »

Also, I cannot compile wineasio following the Readme instructions in the sources.

make 64
just gives me

Makefile:18: recipe for target '64' failed
make: *** [64] Error

Seems like a config command is missing.
zimbodel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zimbodel »

To compile wineasio for 64 bit I found different sources than above. here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wineasio/
I also downloaded the steinberger asio sdk and copied over the asio.h file to the source tree

Following the readme, I get the following error at final make.
It seemingly looks for some debug package.

# make -f Makefile64
gcc -c -I. -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/wine -I/usr/include/wine/windows -g -O2 -D__WINESRC__ -DNATIVE_INT64 -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wwrite-strings -Wpointer-arith -o asio.o asio.c
asio.c:33:24: fatal error: wine/debug.h: No such file or directory
#include "wine/debug.h"
^
compilation terminated.
Makefile64:80: recipe for target 'asio.o' failed
make: *** [asio.o] Error 1

I also have the KXStudio repos installed and they work.
however
apt install wineasio tells me there is no such package available.

Cant seem to win with wineasio.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

According to your screenshot you are using the alsa driver.
The default is pulseaudio. How did you install Wine?
Since I use 64 Wine, I cannot use winetricks. (It says I have a 64-bit prefix)
As far as I know winetricks also works in a 64-bit prefix. You should be able to change the sound driver with:

Code: Select all

winetricks sound=pulse
Do you want to use WineAsio or Pulseaudio?
zimbodel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zimbodel »

Either Jack or Pulseaudio will be fine.

I did what you suggested
# winetricks sound=pulse
Using winetricks 20170101 - sha1sum: c844fda0cca25ac9ed0ed1b55cd138cab6a4af16 with wine-3.0.2 and WINEARCH=win32
Executing w_do_call sound=pulse
Executing load_sound pulse
Setting sound driver to pulse
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\_sound=pulse\set-sound.reg

I still only get the hdmi sound cards as option even though the winetricks command was successful.

Very strange:
All wine applications using sound crashes when I execute
winetricks sound=pulse
and then in the application configure the audio
Once I set
winetrics to sound=alsa
then nothing crashes and it shows my hdmi sound card.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

How did you install Wine?

Does Pulseaudio recognize your sound card?

pacmd list-sinks | grep -e 'name:' -e 'index:'
zimbodel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zimbodel »

Yes of course, Pulseaudio work with Jack syncs to connect with Jack and Jack connects to alsa and my soundcard.
Perfect powerful solution.

The problem is just to have wine connect to either jack or pulseaudio and the problem is solved.
Unfortunately wine just doesnt want to do either as I reported.

There is a thread somewhere on wine I cannot find anymore where I describe my installation.
I first installed from apt, but it proved to be a hinderance. I then after discussion with a developer had to move to 64 bit wine and move al my 32 and 16 bit applications to a windows emulator and only run 64 bit applications from wine.

Would have been nice if I could have two separate 32 and 64 bit wine installations I could call individually and use with the different 32/16 and 64 bit applications.

Anyway the 64 bit I use now was installed from sources.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Anyway the 64 bit I use now was installed from sources.
Using winetricks 20170101 - sha1sum: c844fda0cca25ac9ed0ed1b55cd138cab6a4af16 with wine-3.0.2 and WINEARCH=win32
Which one do you use? Winetricks reports an old Wine version with a 32-bit prefix, but you say you are running a (unknown) 64 bit Wine version.
I first installed from apt, but it proved to be a hinderance
Installing from the WineHQ repo shouldn't be a problem.
zimbodel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zimbodel »

# wine --version
wine-3.0.2
~$ ./Wineversion.scr
Prefix is 64 bit

Using
#!/bin/bash

## Wine can spam stderr
ERRLOG=/tmp/dllerrlog.log

WINESYSDIR=$( winepath -u c:\\windows\\system32 2> $ERRLOG )
if [[ ${WINESYSDIR} == *"/system32" ]]; then
echo "Prefix is 32 bit"
# do 32 bit stuff here...
elif [[ ${WINESYSDIR} == *"/syswow64"* ]]; then
echo "Prefix is 64 bit"
# do 64 bit stuff here...
else
echo "Unknown wine architecture"
fi
Also
1) is it possible to get sound working with pulse on both 32 & 64 bit or is there an issue with either ?
2) Is it possible to have two wine versions running at the same time, One 64 bit and the other 32 bit each with their own separate wine disk (dos_c or whatever in the user account) ?

Regarding (2) it seems I have to install PlayonLinux
https://askubuntu.com/questions/537741/ ... t-versions

Playonlinux states I dont have wine installed although I do have and none of the software that I run successfully in wine is listed in PlayonLinux, so that is a dead end. I prefer to run wine manually without this interface eyecandy clutter of PlayonLinux.

So, is it possible to run 64 &32 bit wine the same time using different executables for each and using different .wine winedisk directories for each ?
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Version 3.0.2 is to old and is no longer supported. Please update to version 5.x
Which version of Ubuntu/ Debian/ Mint do you use?

If you want to know if you have a 32 or 64 bit wineprefix, you can use the following command:

grep "#arch=" ~/.wine/system.reg
1) I don't have any issues with PulseAudio and Wine in a 32-bit or 64-bit wineprefix.
I wonder why you have problems with it. Did you install all the necessary Wine dependencies?
Did you build Wine with PulseAudio support?

2) Yes, you can have multiple Wine versions and use different virtual Windows installations. Read the WineHQ Wiki for more information.
zimbodel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zimbodel »

$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 5.2.0-17.2-liquorix-amd64 ([email protected]) (gcc version 6.3.0 20170516 (Debian 6.3.0-18+deb9u1)) #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT liquorix 5.2-26~mx17+1 (2019-09-24)

No problem installing newest version, but I usually lose a lot of my applications. I use the wine versions which runs them majority of my applications flawlessly. The newest always drops quite a few of them.

I can install the newest version through PlayonLinux, but I am not sure where they keep the wine executable and if the config files are the same as for a wine installation.

If it is the same, it would be great to configure sound in wine using the isolated version PlayonLinux installed.
Otherwise if it is not advised I will try to install concurrent native installations. I have to do that I guess as I have applications running in specific wine versions successfully.
zimbodel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zimbodel »

Also
$ grep "#arch=" ~/.wine/system.reg
#arch=win64
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

I use the wine versions which runs them majority of my applications flawlessly. The newest always drops quite a few of them.
If you have found a regression in Wine the developers would like to know it: https://bugs.winehq.org/

Back to the PulseAudio issue:
Can you run winecfg in a clean wineprefix with Wine 5.x and the pulse debug channel enabled?
and select the Audio tab.

# All in one command:
WINEPREFIX=~/pulsetest WINEDEBUG=+pulse /path/to/wine-5.x/wine winecfg
zimbodel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zimbodel »

I am not sure how I would be able to install clean without destroying my well working Ver3 wine installation. It runs all my legacy instrumentation software which would not run on higher versions of wine.

I will have to go read up how to attempt to run things concurrently and come back if I need help.
It would have been nice if wine was container based. It is crucial for me to run several versions at a time.

I can try to move over my legacy software to playonlinux as that has the bottle/container system, but sound hardly ever work there with any of my app[icitions and I always have better luck with a native wine installation.

I will have to see if I can move all the legacy non-audio stuff over to play on linux before I do a clean install natively.
zimbodel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zimbodel »

I used Playonlinux to handle the different wine versions and it works beautifully and pulseaudio works as long as I dont use the system wine option. I have to use about 5 different wine versions for my legacy software to all work. Some of them only work for wine 3.x and earlier and some made it to 5.x
It is a godsend for me as the legacy software is crucial.
So my problem is solved as I can use playonlinux and always have pulseaudio working as sound device that will route to jack and alsa to the interface.

Thanks \to all who responded and helped.