Progress has been made BUT

Questions about Wine on Linux
ubotdude
Level 2
Level 2

Progress has been made BUT

Post by ubotdude »

I appreciate all of the information that I have gotten from this forum so kudos to all.

I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 and I got wine 5.0.1 install successfully after broken packages threw me some loops. I got winetricks install and it looks pretty good for a novice like myself.

Now my question.

I ran this command

sudo wine msiexec /i myapps.msi

It processed and even requested me to install Geko and the other dependencies. I did not see any errors.

It looks like my app installed. Now where is?

I have looked in various folders. I found where it built the Windows Program folders but I don't see it in any of them.
I did rerun the install again but it did not process again like before so I assume it believe that the app is installed.

So I'm really scratching my head and I would appreciate some direction.

Thanks in advance.

Buddy
dimesio

Re: Progress has been made BUT

Post by dimesio »

ubotdude wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:01 pm I ran this command

sudo wine msiexec /i myapps.msi
Never run Wine as root. https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Should_I_ru ... as_root.3F
ubotdude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ubotdude »

@dimesio

Thanks for the post. That makes complete sense. I think I will start from scratch and reinstall Wine so I can get my commands fully documented for my other computers.

I'm wrapping my brain around wineprefixes as well as winecfg and 32-bit setups so I am determined to get it done correctly so a longer setup time is not a problem for me. Doing it right is my goal.

The app that I am trying to install is not in the big database list WineHQ has so I know I am by myself in this. I have been searching prior post as well as the wiki so if there are any great instructions I would appreciate it if anyone would point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any comments!

Buddy
ubotdude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ubotdude »

Well, I have made it further since my last post.

I now see an error telling me I need .Net Framework version 4.8

After starting Wine Tricks and looking at the dotnet options there, it looks like I will be waiting until 4.8 is pushed out.

Buddy
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

ubotdude wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:21 pm Well, I have made it further since my last post.

I now see an error telling me I need .Net Framework version 4.8

After starting Wine Tricks and looking at the dotnet options there, it looks like I will be waiting until 4.8 is pushed out.

Buddy
Did you get winetricks following the instructions here? -- https://wiki.winehq.org/Winetricks

Current winetricks should have dotnet48 installable.
ubotdude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ubotdude »

Hmmmmm.....No I used the following to get winetricks

sudo apt-get install winetricks

I'll start from scratch again.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

If your "old" winetricks is new enough you can update with:

Code: Select all

sudo winetricks --self-update
ubotdude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ubotdude »

@jkfloris
No it wasn't. I uninstalled it all and reinstalled. I added what you shared to my notes. Now I will update going forward.

Did a lot of reading on the wineprefix process. I like what I have learned so far. Now I'm developing my own folder structure for the apps I want to test.

Buddy
ubotdude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ubotdude »

Update:

I have made it further than yesterday.

I have the environment for Wine setup and my prefix is set to 32-bit. My application is installed.

When I execute things appear to be happening quite fast. Then excitement hits and the "license Activation" screen appears but it is all black. It appears to be hanging there. After a while the Terminal window starts cycling with more things that it is doing.

The activation screen is attempting to contact the corporate server to verify the user. Within the application it self is an integrated Chrome browser.

I did get the right com controls and .Net Framework loaded as well as standard fonts.

I'm not sure at this point what else I can do. Looking for ideas.

Thanks

Buddy
ubotdude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ubotdude »

I did make it further. It accepted my license info and started up. I made a change to the internal theme and shut it down.

I tried to restart it but it is hung up now. I've tried several times.

Is there a way to save the messages that appear in the Terminal window? I'll try redirecting to a text file.

Buddy
ubotdude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ubotdude »

According to my apps log it maybe choking on some favicons.

Is there a graphics library I should add using winetricks? Nothing is popping up in mind when I review the list.

Thanks

Buddy
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

ubotdude wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:41 pm Is there a way to save the messages that appear in the Terminal window? I'll try redirecting to a text file.
Sure. Just 'cd' to the application directory then 'wine program.exe &>log.txt'. (Changing things as appropriate.) In the faq here: https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_can_I_g ... tput.29.3F

Probably best to post the output that gets you at this point rather than deleting files or registry keys haphazardly or starting over. And please use code tags.
ubotdude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ubotdude »

My log was actually too many characters so I attached the zip file that contains my log file.

Thanks

Buddy
mylog.zip
(10.46 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
ubotdude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ubotdude »

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Buddy
ubotdude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ubotdude »

Update:
I talked the vendor of the software app, that I am working with, to make a change to a couple of the internal core functions as in deactivating through an existing XML config file. That did the trick for me. The area that I shutdown was communicating back to a master server library that contains many favicons. Now the app starts and I can do a few things. Still a lot more testing is needed.

One thing that is happening within the window of the app is something that I call "artifacting". The screen within the app loses part of what is there but it does return after it refreshes itself. Usually happens when I am dragging and dropping an element.

I was able to save some source code that I created within the Windows folder area but when I looked later it wasn't there so apparently it was a false success. When I attempted again the popup save screen locked up. So it is probably missing another component.

The following terminal commands I do run separately but is this the right order?

WINEPREFIX=~/wine/app/32bit/productname/.name-to-use WINEARCH="win32" winecfg

WINEPREFIX=~/wine/app/32bit/productname/.name-to-use winetricks
Finally,

When I was ready to install the app I executed the MSI file like this and it would not process. A similar command was executed a couple of days ago and it ran. But today it just returned to the terminal prompt. I ultimately copied the files from another computer and placed them in the right folders but it was disappointing the MSI would not start. I'm sure I did something wrong but it is not clear to me.

WINEPREFIX=~/wine/app/32bit/productname/.name-to-use wine msiexec /i /home/Downloads/6.1.11+Setup.msi
I'm pretty stoked that I made it this far. I hope to go further. Thanks for all of the help I have been given.

Buddy
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

ubotdude wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:34 am The following terminal commands I do run separately but is this the right order?

WINEPREFIX=~/wine/app/32bit/productname/.name-to-use WINEARCH="win32" winecfg

WINEPREFIX=~/wine/app/32bit/productname/.name-to-use winetricks
If the directory specified by WINEPREFIX doesn't exist to begin with, yes. That will create a "fresh" 32-bit wineprefix.
Finally,

When I was ready to install the app I executed the MSI file like this and it would not process. A similar command was executed a couple of days ago and it ran. But today it just returned to the terminal prompt. I ultimately copied the files from another computer and placed them in the right folders but it was disappointing the MSI would not start. I'm sure I did something wrong but it is not clear to me.

WINEPREFIX=~/wine/app/32bit/productname/.name-to-use wine msiexec /i /home/Downloads/6.1.11+Setup.msi
This is in the newly created wineprefix? I'm not sure if wine's msiexec handles unix paths so if you haven't try copying or linking the installer into the wineprefix's drive_c and running from there (like 'cd ~/wine/app/32bit/productname/.name-to-use/drive_c' first).
ubotdude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ubotdude »

@spoon0042 Thanks!

Yes, I run those separately as well. What you suggested last did work.
ubotdude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ubotdude »

I my app actually runs BUT it still has issues. I have reached out to the owner of the system to get details on his compiling and development environment but he is too busy at the moment (I actually work for him). So that leaves me to my own devices.

I have been doing a lot of reading concerning the items in the DLL list that Winetricks can install but I am looking for two solutions which may be buried in one or more DLLs.

I'm constantly seeing what I call, "artifacting" much like what you would see from a satellite dish transmission when heavy rain & clouds are moving through. The app does not terminate but it is very distracting. A window will have blinking pixels and a subwindow that I may open will be totally black until it refreshes on its own.

The next issue is saving files. I can create a program and run it and it does fine. But when I save the source code, the window opens showing the Windows related folder structure. I pick a folder and a filename and it appears to be successful but later when I try to reopen it the file is not there. No error message of any kind appears so I'm not sure if it is a permissions thing or a missing DLL.

Any help would be appreciated.

Buddy
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

No idea on the "artifacting", that's weird. Perhaps try a virtual desktop in winecfg.

For the files issue, have you tried setting an older windows version in winecfg? afaik there's quirks with wine's implementation of newer ones and the application may check for support. Default is 7, XP may be more likely to work. Give a few a try. If not then trying some WINEDEBUG settings may point something out.