How to build the portable version?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
adamAC
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to build the portable version?

Post by adamAC »

Gcenx wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:36 am Scratch the wine removing symlinks on exit, that’s something I handle along with a whole host of other things.
That should be ok to leave them there, I think. It would only be a problem if they then moved the app to another Mac.
Gcenx wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:36 am The not making symlinks is strange as it should at least function on the system it was built on, unless you’re making a recent version of wine as the more recent releases no longer create some symlinks by default instead opting for making directories within the wineprefix.
I haven't had chance to look yet but where in the source code does it create these symlinks?
Gcenx wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:36 am You “could” manually create the symlinks to the users directories ahead of time make the symlink to “~/Documents” for example so it will function on any user.
I could add that to the launch script, I guess, if I can't see why Wine isn't doing it itself.
Gcenx wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:36 am You will still need to handle fixing the wineprefix permissions for each user as wine doesn’t handle these things on its own
What do you mean by this?

At the moment, even if I have a symlink to ~/Documents the app doesn't have permission to view the contents. Do you have any more ideas about how to solve this problem? This could also be the reason the symlinks aren't being created, I guess. Although, this fails on Mojave and High Sierra too, which doesn't have such strict permissions.
adamAC
Level 2
Level 2

Post by adamAC »

So, I have updated the launch script to now automatically create the necessary symlinks for Desktop, My Documents, etc, on start-up. So that has got around that little problem. However, you still cannot see the contents of these location when running the app on Catalina. On Mojave and High Sierra it works fine. So there must still be a permissions issue.

I have just discovered, albeit accidentally, that even though "My Documents", "Desktop", etc, are not showing the contents I can still save files to those locations. If I then go back to that location then they are still empty. But if you use Finder you can see the file(s) saved successfully.

I do have yet a new problem on Catalina but I will create a new topic about that.
adamAC
Level 2
Level 2

Post by adamAC »

Hi Gcenx,

What is your command line for running configure for your builds?

Thanks.
adamAC
Level 2
Level 2

Post by adamAC »

I have found your configuration on https://github.com/Gcenx/macOS_Wine_builds. Thanks. Will give that a try.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

adamAC wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:51 am I have found your configuration on https://github.com/Gcenx/macOS_Wine_builds. Thanks. Will give that a try.
I should warn you the provided configuration flags assume my exact build environment plus the needed env.

To quickly setup my environment after macport & macports-wine are freshly install (+universal patch if running Mojave)

Code: Select all

sudo su
yes | port install wine-staging -x11
port deactivate wine-staging
Then install XQuartz_2.7.7, the needed exports where posted on the previous page.