Questions about Wine on macOS.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Temporary macOS Wine builds

Post by Gcenx »

Winehq won't be providing wine builds for macOS see the comment on wine-staging
That machine is out of service as of Wine 5.8. The current
plan is to ensure the replacement has a recent enough SDK to use fstatat().
As a temporary measure I'll be uploading Winehq style Wine-Devel & Wine-Staging bundles to a temporary repository I've setup macOS Wine Builds, the provided builds won't be packaged within a pkg instead I opted to use .tar.gz.

These builds will function on OS X 10.9 to 10.14, required dylibs are included within the app bundles so XQuartz is not required unless you want to use the X11 over macDriver.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Temporary macOS Wine builds

Post by Gcenx »

These can now also be installed using

brew tap gcenx/wine
brew cask install {cask name}
- gcenx-wine-stable
- gcenx-wine-devel
- gcenx-wine-staging
Sparen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sparen »

Thank you for your hard work!

(This enables me to actually do my job as an app maintainer, without having to deal with the time-intensive process of trying to build Wine myself, so it's greatly appreciated)
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

I’m glad someone found them useful, wine-devel-5.12 and wine-staging-5.12.1 will be added sometime tonight
Sparen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sparen »

Following up from https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33765

I haven't touched the 5.0.1 stable - only the standard development builds. I tested with the 5.11 version you released and also experimented with a more recent one.

The primary issue I ran into was a graphical issue where your builds cause extra blur - certain applications with crisp lines suffer due to this (NOTE: I use a 2013 Retina MacBook Pro). See the following (referencing the text components is the easiest way to spot the issue):

Gcenx 5.13: https://sparenofiria-awsmisc.s3.amazona ... x+5.13.png
WineHQ 5.7: https://sparenofiria-awsmisc.s3.amazona ... HQ+5.7.png

The second issue I ran into was a major performance hit when using the packaged application over digging into the .app to locate the binary. In a game that typically only runs below 50 FPS when OBS is recording the screen and using 90% of CPU, the .app release of Wine adds enough overhead to have equivalent performance. This one can be avoided by using the command line to start the application, though it requires multiple steps to get to the bin directory within the .app.

I also ran into a crash when I was planning to do some testing. I don't know if it was related to the build or not but I determined that it was best to wait for an official WineHQ build before submitting any more test data to the AppDB.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Sparen wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:42 am Following up from https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33765

I haven't touched the 5.0.1 stable - only the standard development builds. I tested with the 5.11 version you released and also experimented with a more recent one.
I’d mentioned Wine-5.0.1 as this won’t have some known bugs.
Sparen wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:42 am The primary issue I ran into was a graphical issue where your builds cause extra blur - certain applications with crisp lines suffer due to this (NOTE: I use a 2013 Retina MacBook Pro). See the following (referencing the text components is the easiest way to spot the issue):

Gcenx 5.13: https://sparenofiria-awsmisc.s3.amazona ... x+5.13.png
WineHQ 5.7: https://sparenofiria-awsmisc.s3.amazona ... HQ+5.7.png
Fonts shouldn’t look so different but you can use the following;

Code: Select all

export FREETYPE_PROPERTIES=“truetype:interpreter-version=35”
This will force the older rendering mode, over the much newer freetype rendering mode.
Sparen wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:42 am The second issue I ran into was a major performance hit when using the packaged application over digging into the .app to locate the binary. In a game that typically only runs below 50 FPS when OBS is recording the screen and using 90% of CPU, the .app release of Wine adds enough overhead to have equivalent performance. This one can be avoided by using the command line to start the application, though it requires multiple steps to get to the bin directory within the .app.
I recommend installing using my brew tap so the package is installed without being marked as quarantined causing increased CPU load due to tccd going nuts.

Using the brew tap also adds the wine binaries into your using PATH meaning your able to use wine(64) within a stock terminal session.

The pkg don’t suffer from getting flagged by gatekeeper nor translocation due to how the installers function.
Sparen wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:42 am I also ran into a crash when I was planning to do some testing. I don't know if it was related to the build or not but I determined that it was best to wait for an official WineHQ build before submitting any more test data to the AppDB.
After the NTDLL conversion to PE format I’ve seen a huge increase in crashes during and since this occurred, these might be macOS/clang specific however I haven’t had enough tying to verify the issues also exist between Linux clang and macOS clang compilations.

I’d have liked to have sat down and verified all of the recent issues with my usual contact but we’ve both been rather busy as of late
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

I asked my contact to check the images as I’m on mobile, they can see a clear difference but said that’s not build related.

Ether is more correct now or it’s a regression between Wine-5.7 and Wine-5.13
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Just Incase anyone is watching the thread a small update.

Newly added packages;
  • Wine-Staging-5.0.2
  • Wine-Devel-5.15
  • Wine-Staging-5.15
The latest versions of these packages can always be installed by using my brew tap flooring the instructions provided on the GitHub repository
SouthAfrica

Post by SouthAfrica »

I found the Temporary macOS Wine builds. Yes, very useful. Thanks.