CD Rom issue

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
tone
Level 2
Level 2

CD Rom issue

Post by tone »

Hi,

I recently tried to run the touch-typing software which I learnt to type with in the late 90s-early00s. This is because my oldest is at an age where he loves these learning games among other reasons why I want to get it running.

The issue I am having is regarding the programme wanting to run from a CD. I do have the disc and drive. However, I think it's a wine prompt which generates a window with a red circle with a white X in it, says: "CD-ROM drive, required to run Kewala's Typing Adventure, has not be found."

Then the next prompt window:

KEWALA Setup: "Can not run from a shared network Compact Disk drive"

The d: drive does load automatically in the WINEPREFIX as I can see from winecfg. I've tried a number of way to try and satisfy this, for example using winecfg to make another drive (like e: or f:), run it from mounting /dev/sr0 in /mnt/ and even making an .iso of the disc and mounting that to run. But nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any experience using CD-Rom or a similar issue which they can offer some solutions?

Thanks in advance!
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: CD Rom issue

Post by spoon0042 »

wine version? you can try with WINEDEBUG=+volume to see if it's checking for and correctly detecting the cd drive.
tone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tone »

spoon0042 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:59 pm wine version? you can try with WINEDEBUG=+volume to see if it's checking for and correctly detecting the cd drive.
Hi Spoon0042, thanks for the reply. Good questions, simple questions....but hard for me [a novice] to answer.

I've been running wine from either the /opt/ or from a folder I downloaded ages ago with a command like:
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/Rob/wines/testbottle32 /home/Rob/Desktop/'More linux programmes'/WINE/'all installed wine components!'/wine-stable/bin/wine /mnt/install.exe

I've tried stable, devel, and staging and they all yield the same result. I don't remember what version of wine I downloaded (like in the above command); is there a way I can check which version is in the /bin folders? [Edit: Ah, I just saw in wincfg in the About it says the version in /opt/ is 5.6, the version in the above command is 4.0.4]

Say I want to run WINEDEBUG=+volume, how do I do this? Can I add that into the command line instruction I wrote above? Because when I run WINEDEBUG=+volume the terminal first on its own then run the above instruction WINEARCH=win32... next, no debugging output is generated.

Thanks very much,

Rob
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Right, put it on the command line with the other WINE* environment variables. (Side note WINEARCH only has an effect when a prefix is first created.)

Also see here on getting a log: https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_can_I_g ... tput.29.3F

And it may not matter but it's best practice to 'cd' to the directory containing the exe you're running. So it would end up looking something like:

Code: Select all

WINEPREFIX=/home/Rob/wines/testbottle32 WINEDEBUG=+volume /path/to/wine install.exe &>/tmp/log.txt
If the log you get is short you can post it in code tags, or attach it if longer.
tone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tone »

spoon0042 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:24 am Right, put it on the command line with the other WINE* environment variables. (Side note WINEARCH only has an effect when a prefix is first created.)

Also see here on getting a log: https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_can_I_g ... tput.29.3F

And it may not matter but it's best practice to 'cd' to the directory containing the exe you're running. So it would end up looking something like:

WINEPREFIX=/home/Rob/wines/testbottle32 WINEDEBUG=+volume /path/to/wine install.exe &>/tmp/log.txt
If the log you get is short you can post it in code tags, or attach it if longer.
Hi Spoon0042,
Thanks for the clarification. Okay after adding the WINEDEBUG=+volume to the command I have the log. But it's short...maybe too short. This is it in its entirety:

002c:trace:volume:GetDriveTypeW L"C:" -> 3
002c:trace:volume:GetDriveTypeW L"C:" -> 3

Thanks in advance for your interpretation of this log (I have no idea what it means).
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Did you try manually adding the drive in winecfg again? Or deleting it if you did? Since it doesn't appear to be checking anything other than C: and that's the most common way to check for a cd. If it doesn't work either way I'm not sure what to try next unfortunately. Do you happen to know if the software is freely available anywhere? ...wait, that's a stupid question, isn't it.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Possibly WINEDEBUG=+file,+msgbox,+dialog,+volume may provide some hint.
tone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tone »

spoon0042 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:46 pm Possibly WINEDEBUG=+file,+msgbox,+dialog,+volume may provide some hint.
Hi Spoon0042,

Quick question, what is the significance of the L and \\ in wine?

It would take me as long to upload a screenshot of winecfg and get a url for it as it would to just type, in Drives it says:
"C: .../drive_c
D: /media/Rob/KEWALA
E: /home/Rob/wines/testbottle32/drive_c
F: /mnt
Z: /
"

So I'm not sure if it is or isn't seeing it.

The terminal now says:

0009:trace:volume:GetVolumeInformationW L"\\??\\C:\\": found fs type 1
0009:trace:volume:GetVolumeInformationW L"\\??\\D:\\": found fs type 4
0009:trace:volume:GetVolumeInformationW L"\\??\\E:\\": found fs type 1
0009:trace:volume:GetVolumeInformationW cannot open device L"\\??\\F:\\": c0000022
0009:trace:volume:GetVolumeInformationW cannot open device L"\\??\\Z:\\": c0000022
I wish I knew what/how to interpret in the new log results from the debug, please find this attached as log.txt.tar.gz.

Thanks again!
Attachments
log.txt.tar.gz
(32.78 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

uh. well afaik the L just specifies a certain type of string. \\ is just a \ since \ is usually an escape character.

beyond that though I'm kind of stumped. I'd hoped the log would hint at something, but I see where the dialog is called and before that it's doing something with notepad.exe which is just bizarre.

unless someone else has an idea you might be stuck. I assume F: is your cd drive? still nothing jumps out at me. if you happen to have a windows install available (anywhere from 3 to 10) you could try installing there and copying things over, as a last resort.
tone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tone »

spoon0042 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:36 pm uh. well afaik the L just specifies a certain type of string. \\ is just a \ since \ is usually an escape character.

beyond that though I'm kind of stumped. I'd hoped the log would hint at something, but I see where the dialog is called and before that it's doing something with notepad.exe which is just bizarre.

unless someone else has an idea you might be stuck. I assume F: is your cd drive? still nothing jumps out at me. if you happen to have a windows install available (anywhere from 3 to 10) you could try installing there and copying things over, as a last resort.
Thanks again Spoon0042

I think you might be right, unfortunately I might be stuck. No idea why it can't find the drives such as
wine: cannot find L"F:\\."

(Letter depending on mounting...and I tried everything).

The only success I had was on a 32bit Win7, and I think it had to run with the CD or mount an .iso of. So I tried almost a dozen Windows virtual drive mounting programmes, none of which I could get to actually mount a drive in WINE. So if anyone knows a free Windows programme to mount an image that works in WINE please let me know, but I think I've tried everything.

Thanks again for your guidance
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

You could still file a bug. If you do you should start with a fresh wineprefix and try to give any information that seems relevant or helpful. May not go anywhere but it may be worth a shot.

e: oh and I assume windows virtual drives (or whatever the correct name for that is) wouldn't work in wine. Linux can mount isos easy enough but if the physical cd wasn't working that probably won't go anywhere either. :(
tone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tone »

Hi Spoon0042,

What does filing a bug entail? Is that like submitting a debug log on WINE hq? When you try playonLinux, does that make a new wineprefix? I'm assuming so, because I tried that too.

e: yes, exactly, I mounted it easily several times in several ways on linux, but I wanted to mount it using a Windows mounted image in WINE, just like I did on Win7, but none of the 3rd party windows image mounting programmes would work in WINE. Maybe this wouldn't have worked anyway.

Thanks again,

Rob
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

wine's bugzilla is here: https://bugs.winehq.org/

you'd have to make an account, read over the guide, then submit a bug

I'm not sure if PoL makes a new prefix by default but it's not supported here anyway (so don't use that if you do go to file a bug). If you haven't yet you can read about wineprefixes here: https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Can_I_store ... 2F.wine.3F

And I'm not 100% on it but windows image mounters probably need some system level support that wine can't provide and thus won't work. btw you can check the appdb to see people's experiences running programs in wine: https://appdb.winehq.org/
tone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tone »

spoon0042 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:57 pm wine's bugzilla is here: https://bugs.winehq.org/

I'm not sure if PoL makes a new prefix by default but it's not supported here anyway (so don't use that if you do go to file a bug). If you haven't yet you can read about wineprefixes here: https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Can_I_store ... 2F.wine.3F

And I'm not 100% on it but windows image mounters probably need some system level support that wine can't provide and thus won't work. btw you can check the appdb to see people's experiences running programs in wine: https://appdb.winehq.org/
Hi Spoon0042,

Thanks, I'll look into those two links and bugzilla. Can I submit the previous log.txt as the bug?

All the best,

Rob
tone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tone »

spoon0042 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:57 pm wine's bugzilla is here: https://bugs.winehq.org/

When I said "can I submit" that previous log, what I meant to say was: would it be appropriate to submit that previous log on bugzilla?
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

It would be good to attach a log, yes. Be sure to specify what command and any WINEDEBUG was used as well.