Ancient program

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
straybit

Ancient program

Post by straybit »

I have a desire to run a Windows 3 program

Code: Select all

bruce@HP15 ~/Documents/WinGames/QV $ wine QVWIN.exe
002f:err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in local heap 15bf for 2136 bytes
and I'm told the Program Aborted.
While I realize there are newer bible programs, when I search, they limit to just what I asked for. QV, however, places me at the appropriate location in the text and I can scroll either way to get context.
Thanks, in advance
Bruce
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Ancient program

Post by spoon0042 »

Possibly an environment space issue. You can try running 'unset LS_COLORS' before running wine. If that's not enough there's more info on this bug (oddly also some bible program): https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1490#c30

Or it could be something else entirely. :)
straybit

Post by straybit »

I tried several variations

Code: Select all

env -i PATH=$PATH /usr/local/bin/wine "C:\Program Files\QV\QVWIN.EXE"
0114:err:user:load_desktop_driver failed to load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winex11.drv"
0114:err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in local heap 06c7 for 1164 bytes
0114:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
0114:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow The explorer process failed to start.

env -i PATH=$PATH DISPLAY=$DISPLAY /usr/local/bin/wine "C:\Program Files\QV\QVWIN.EXE"
0128:err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in local heap 06c7 for 1176 bytes

bruce@Acer-Aspire ~ $ echo $DISPLAY
:0.0
bruce@Acer-Aspire ~ $ echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin
bruce@Acer-Aspire ~ $ echo $HOME
/home/bruce
but no joy.
Thank you for your assistance.
Bruce
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

straybit wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:02 am I tried several variations

but no joy.
Thank you for your assistance.
Bruce
That's too bad. Running Windows 3.1 in dosbox is another possibility if nothing else works but I can't really help you there.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

I *think* it would be safe to say anything for Windows 3 would at most be 32-bit, and probably a lot less. When you set up your wine prefix, did you specify WINEARCH=win32? The default is win64. I would think you might want to try a 32-bit prefix and also run winecfg and specify windows XP as the os versioin. My winecfg doesn't show anything lower than windows xp. Once you've created that wine prefix then reinstall the program and try running from there. I'm not sure it will help but it's all I could come up with.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

My winecfg doesn't show anything lower than windows xp
https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Why_aren.27 ... refixes.3F
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

That explains it. So, straybit did you do as I said above in creating a 32-bit prefix and select Windows XP in winecfg?