Desktop icon not working

Questions about Wine on Linux
fargodwe

Desktop icon not working

Post by fargodwe »

Hello. I installed Linux Mint 20. I then followed the instructions for installing wine, using the ubuntu focal repository and install the staging branch. Everything went fine and I installed 2 programs, each of which created their own desktop icons. 1 of those icons works fine and it's program comes up. The other just results in a spinning "cursor" on the desktop and then eventually it stops but just goes back as if nothing has started. I tried going to the prefix for that program, then used the command line specifying the WINEARCH and the prefix and used winedbg instead of just 'wine'. Instead of some weird error and the program not working it instead ran fine. I seem to remember running into this before and someone replied it was something about the way Linux Mint creates the desktop short cut. Has anything changed in that regard? I hate to say "been fixed" because I think that would be a misnomer and I don't think it's actually a wine problem but I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.

I did try changing the laucher to include WINEARCH-win32 but it didn't help.

Since the other program is 64-bit and it runs, I'm going out on a limb and guessing it's something with the launcher when it's a 32-bit program.

Thank you!
fargodwe

Re: Desktop icon not working

Post by fargodwe »

That was actually WINEARCH=win32 - I just mistyped it above. Also, this is a 32-bit wine prefix. It works fine with a 64-bit wine prefix.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The known issue with Mint menu entries is https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27706. I doubt Mint will ever fix it.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Thank you!