Trying to get ThumbsPls running again, how to debug?

Questions about Wine on Linux
Oilbottle
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to get ThumbsPls running again, how to debug?

Post by Oilbottle »

I've been struggling for quite some time now and don't know what to try anymore to get ThumbsPlus (https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... on&iId=257) working.

My Setup is CentOS-7, using the wine32 (v4.0.4) repository from Harbottle. I've tried versions 8 to 10 of ThumbsPlus. The installation works fine and I don't see any serious problems apart from "fixme" lines. But when I start the program it asks me to set up a new database because it cannot connect to its (exisiting) one. That, as well as trying an ODBC database (mariadb, test with isql worked) instead, does not work. With winetricks I tried lots of combinations of jet40/mdac28 and so on, switched to different modes (Win7/XP), and experimented with the override dlls (native/builtin). All without success. Even gave a v5.8 32-bit compile a try with the same results. I'm at my wit's end now and afraid it's just a little fix I just can't figure out.
Oilbottle
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Trying to get ThumbsPls running again, how to debug?

Post by Oilbottle »

Could somebody please take a look? If there's anything I can provide, don't hesitate to ask. That's the only thing that stops me from ditching Windows completely.

For those who want to try, the installer is located at eg
http://www2.thumbsplus.com/binaries/thmpls8sp1.exe
http://www2.thumbsplus.com/binaries/thmpls10sp2.exe
Oilbottle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oilbottle »

*bump*

any help please?
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

I tried both 8 and 10 and I got nothing. Don't see anything obviously wrong. You could always file a bug?
Oilbottle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oilbottle »

Thanks for taking a look!

"I tried both 8 and 10 and I got nothing. Don't see anything obviously wrong" meaning you had no problems, as in both versions work fine for you?

Did you try with harbottle's wine32 under CentOS-7?
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Oh sorry, yeah that was a bit unclear. Whatever I tried I got the error dialogs about ODBC. Using the winehq packages for Debian stable.

e: and the "nothing obviously wrong" I meant I didn't see anything obvious from wine's output that would indicate a problem. Maybe I shouldn't post when I'm tired. :)
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Do you remember what wine version and thumbspls version worked, assuming it did at one time?
Oilbottle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oilbottle »

According to the AppDB v7 worked with wine 1.1.21
For v9 it was reported that the installer fails, but that's not the case anymore it seems.

In an all-or-nothing approach I installed all available dlls via winetricks, but that did not help either (wasn't too optimistic on that, but gave it a shot). In fact it seemed to do more harm than good.

I'm just surprised that it doesn't spit out any errors to narrow the problem down. Launched even strace, but the output is total overload.
Oilbottle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oilbottle »

I gave v7 a try. The installer did seem to do most of the installation, but it froze when it was complete so I had to kill it.
Starting the program also had connection errors to the db. Also after adding jet40 and mdac28
Oilbottle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oilbottle »

Invested some more time trying to make it use mysql, without any success either.

Is there more I can look into to get it working?
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

At this point you should probably file a bug. You may want to start with a fresh wineprefix and current wine and latest winetricks so you can tell exactly what you've tried to get it to work. (Although there is still an outstanding issue with winetricks and you'll probably want a 32-bit prefix as well.)

wine 1.1 is probably too old to make a regression test practical but trying stable releases may be possible (2.0.? or 3.0.? or 4.0.?) if you have the time and can get those versions working without too much trouble. And you can mention that there are/were successful appdb reports either way.