Steam won't Install

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Fulhamfan100

Steam won't Install

Post by Fulhamfan100 »

Hi,

Up front, I'm completely unfamiliar with programming or anything else like this, so apologies if this is very simplistic.

I've recently downloaded Steam onto my Mac and I didn't realise a lot of games are Windows specific. I had already bought 2 of these before I realised they wouldn't run, so I immediately went googling to work out if I could get this to work. I used a youtube guide (link at the bottom), which suggests I use Wine to get round this. I followed the guide and it worked fine, until I get to the step around 2:30 where it thinks you can right click on the icon of steam and download the game. However, when I try and do this, it tells me: "There is no application set to open the document “Steam.desktop”." I presume the application that is meant to open the document is Wine, so I guess I've done something wrong when downloading it, but I've no idea what.

I've tried repeating this a couple of times and when I look at the code, it looks like something might be going wrong, as I get the below code on continual repeat. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is or is the problem somewhere outside of Wine? If so, I apologise and I hope you can direct me towards a more appropriate forum.

"0062:fixme:winsock:WS_setsockopt SO_SNDBUF ignoring request to disable send buffering
0062:fixme:winsock:WSAIoctl ignoring keepalive interval"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... s5Ce1dOiwE
ryuji

Re: Steam won't Install

Post by ryuji »

I have the exact same problem.. don't know how to open the steam.desktop file.. thanks in advance
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

You don’t launch .desktop files these are Linux specific.

You can create Apple script launchers if needed check the macOS wiki/faq section is updated that a little a while back.

The alternative is to use
wine explorer

Now use that windows explorer style window to navigate the wine environment like windows, when you find an windows application you want to launch just double click it
lazyturtle

Post by lazyturtle »

@fulhamfan100 @ryuji Were you able to try Wine Explorer and solve the problem?

Let us know if you could solve the issue. Thanks!
Fulhamfan100

Post by Fulhamfan100 »

I'm afraid, no. I could run the "wine mine" file that was the example, but I couldn't work out steam. I tried:

wine explorer /desktop=foo,4800x3600 steam.desktop

but nothing happened. I also tried the shell option and just got an error message.

Are there any guides which go through things in a more step by step manner?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

You can’t run

wine explorer /desktop=foo,4800x3600 steam.desktop

First issue here is wine on macOS defaults to using macDriver the virtual desktop requires using X11 as the display driver.

Second you can’t run .desktop files in that manner to begin with and those are also Linux only files
Fulhamfan100

Post by Fulhamfan100 »

Hi Gcenx,

Thanks for the guidance and I accept that I'm clearly going about this the wrong way. Are there any links/advice that you can point me towards that would show me how to do this the right way? Preferably very simple walkthroughs - as suits my current level of ability/understanding :-).