MSSQL + Wine 5.0

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
South Coast Software

MSSQL + Wine 5.0

Post by South Coast Software »

Hello

After months of crawling the web looking for answers, I am completely stuck.

In the simplest terms, I would appreciate if anyone could answer the following question:

Is it possible to run a custom VB application in Wine, that retrieves data from a SQL Server instance across a LAN?

If possible, is there an example in the Wine AppDB?

It seems to me that Wine caters for gamers far more than to business oriented software, needing ADO/ADODB/OLEDB/ODBC support?

Thank you in advance.
Hambert
Level 2
Level 2

Re: MSSQL + Wine 5.0

Post by Hambert »

Hi! Having issues as well. I have an app for controlling a laboratory autoanalizer and it has problems with the database library in latest wine. Solution is to use wine 4.0.

Also check: viewtopic.php?t=31519
dacha
Level 1
Level 1

Re: MSSQL + Wine 5.0

Post by dacha »

South Coast Software wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:08 am Is it possible to run a custom VB application in Wine, that retrieves data from a SQL Server instance across a LAN?
VB6 or VB.NET?

I have a problem with VB.NET connecting to MSSQL, due to some bug in Wine's schannel.dll. Native schannel hangs/deadlocks.

Microsoft did open-source their MSSQL ADO.NET connector somewhere on Github, but when last I had a quick look, I couldn't find how it uses schannel; there was possibly other native code in-between. It might be worth a deeper look.

I've been wondering how best to debug this. Wine's schannel DLL exports 37 functions, of which 9 are stubs, leaving "only" 28 implemented ones. It should be possible to add detailed logging to every one and use them to write unit tests against Windows's schannel, then compare differences and patch Wine to work the same way.
It seems to me that Wine caters for gamers far more than to business oriented software, needing ADO/ADODB/OLEDB/ODBC support?
Sadly, it seems that way to me sometimes as well. And gaming APIs are ever changing and difficult to get right, while database APIs are highly standardized and very stable over time, and Wine could totally own them.