Oddballz runs way too fast/Slowdown for Wine?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
PeachPup
Level 1
Level 1

Oddballz runs way too fast/Slowdown for Wine?

Post by PeachPup »

Hello! I'm trying to get Oddballz (a fun pet sim from the 90s if you're into that kind of thing) to run properly on my Mac. I've managed to get it to open and most everything works perfectly, expect the game runs at about triple speed. I know this is pretty common for older games, but is there a way to fix it while running the game in wine? I've already tried running it in compatibility mode for Windows 95, which had no effect.

I know other programs like DOSbox can change the run speed of older games, but when I've tried to run Oddballz in it I get the message that "This program must be run under Microsoft Windows". Ideally, I'd like software that could regulate the speed of just Oddballz, as opposed to something that kills the performance of my whole computer, because I'd like to run the rest of my programs normally while slowing down Oddballz. Is there slowdown software out there that is compatible with Wine, or is there a way to fool DOSbox into playing a Windows game on a Mac using Wine?

I'm running macOS High Sierra version 10.13.1. I use wineskins for my games, and I have Oddballz installed with wrapper version Wineskin 2.6.2, and WS9Wine2.22

Any help would be appreciated. This is one of my favorite childhood games and I'd love the chance to play it properly again. Thank you :)
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Oddballz runs way too fast/Slowdown for Wine?

Post by Gcenx »

There is a native dosbox client for macOS, also Wineskin-2.6.2 and WS9Wine2.22 are old.

If you want to still use Wineskin but use recent wine releases use my fork Unofficial Wineskin grab the custom Winery from Releases section.
PeachPup
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeachPup »

Thanks for the quick reply! I've tried both running the mac version of DOSbox and the Windows version of DOSbox through Wine, and I've gotten the same "This program must be run under Microsoft Windows" message for both, unfortunately.

Do the newer versions have a way to configure the speed? I'd definitely like to update. It'll probably be a while, given that getting the old version to run was already a pretty long project for me, but hopefully soon.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Running the game with WINEDEBUG=+all may slow it down enough to be usable.
PeachPup
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeachPup »

Oh I'd love to try that, thanks! Is there a way to implement that with the version of wineskin I'm using currently?

I'm imagining it would involve changing the input in this box to "+all"
https://i.imgur.com/raBznq6.png

Otherwise, is there a good tutorial out there for doing this with normal wine? Will just the opposite of this post work? https://askubuntu.com/questions/85221/t ... -debugging
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Toy have the debug flags active you need to launch using “test run”
PeachPup
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeachPup »

Putting "=+all" in the Wine Debug box didn't seem to make any difference sadly, but thank y'all again for your suggestions!
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

The default setting within Wineskin when run via “test run” is set to
“WINEDEBUG=err+all,fixme+all”

The text box just shows the “err+all,fixme+all” part for just +all just enter that into the field and launch via “test run”

As for a guide I wrote a basic one wine-on-mac that will get wine setup app it’s easier to follow others advice and even the winehq wiki
PeachPup
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeachPup »

Sorry I should have been more clear! I did indeed do a test run after entering +all but I did not see any changes in game speed
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

It could be due to the user old version of wine your using, Duke Nukem 3D ran just fine for me when using a recent wine version.
PeachPup
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeachPup »

Ok I'm just a fool, because it appears I had Wine Stable 5.0 already

I tried running Oddballz normally with 5.0 and it ran too fast. I then tried running it with this:
WINEDEBUG=+all wine /filepath/ODDBALLZ.EXE

and it started the loading screen, but then seemed to get stuck in a heck of a loop. The terminal kept outputting stuff without the game actually opening, and I got a "the program winedvm.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close" popup. When I clicked show details, I also got a lot more output which started with "Unhandled exception: illegal instruction in 16-bit code", followed by other stuff that I have saved if it's relevant. It seems like turning =+all on worked a bit too well in slowing things down, because everything else did indeed slow down while the terminal was generating output, but ofc the game never opened. Is there a nice in-between setting I can use for debug that will slow down the game but won't make it crash and make everything else on my computer slow down? It really had my mac fan screaming haha

Thank y'all once again for the help you've offered :)