Is there something wrong with the Ubuntu repositories?

Questions about Wine on Linux
hiigaran
Level 2
Level 2

Is there something wrong with the Ubuntu repositories?

Post by hiigaran »

This is the second time I've had an issue when running an upgrade. First time it happened, I was on 5.2, with the latest version at 5.3. Did the upgrade, and my wineprefix somehow turned into a 32bit prefix. Stopped me from being able to run any 64bit applications in the prefix. Had to remove and manually install 5.2 (manually resolving dependency issues as well, which has happened for the last few versions too), create a new prefix, and reinstall the applications to solve it.

Now with 5.4, I decided to try upgrading again, and the version shows as 4.0.2. What is going on?

Running Ubuntu 19.10
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Is there something wrong with the Ubuntu repositories?

Post by jkfloris »

Can you describe how you installed and updated Wine? Which packages?

Version 4.0.2 is the default Wine version in the Ubuntu Eoan repository. Did you add the WineHQ repo?
hiigaran
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Is there something wrong with the Ubuntu repositories?

Post by hiigaran »

I've had the repo for years, which was added following the instructions on the install page of this site. It used to be simple before a few versions ago when installing winehq-staging. Then in the last year or so, I did a clean wipe of my hard drive, and when I tried to install Wine all over again with apt install, the dependency errors came up. winehq-staging depends on...I think it was wine-staging. So I tried to apt install wine-staging. Then it gave me a dependency error about wine-staging-i386. Once that was installed, I could install wine-staging- and winehq-staging. Since then, whenever a new version was available, it seems to do something strange with what's currently installed, as mentioned in my previous post.

This time, I've removed Wine again and reinstalled the staging package. So far so good. Installed without dependency errors. I'm just worried it might cause issues again down the track, and if there is anything I may or may not not be doing on my end that is causing trouble.