Program won't load in WINE nothing happens

Questions about Wine on Linux
Matt7
Level 1
Level 1

Program won't load in WINE nothing happens

Post by Matt7 »

This really has me stumped. The computer is an HP 2000 recently acquired. It's a fresh install of Peppermint 10 Re-spin based on Ubuntu 18.04.

Peppermint installed cleanly and everything seems to function so far. I installed Winehq 5.0 via the command line. Everything seemed to install cleanly and with no error messages. I attempted to run a program called "The Journal 8" by DavidRM. I've made the program .exe file executable and told it to load via Wine Program loader. I get the wait symbol for a minute or so and then nothing. No error, no message.

I went into Synaptic Package Manager and reinstalled Wine. Still nothing. I downloaded a fresh copy of The Journal 8 and tried again. This time Wine seemed to be updating for a while but the program didn't load as it does on my other machines. TJ8 is currently installed on 3 other machines and runs well in Wine.

The wait symbol appears for a minute or so then changes back to a pointer. Nothing happens. I can't even get an error message to see what is going wrong.

Any suggestions?
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Program won't load in WINE nothing happens

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Try running the program from the commandline, that way you see what's wrong.
Matt7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Matt7 »

Running from the command line brings me this.

0027:err:environ:run_wineboot boot event wait timed out
0027:err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0xf7efec33

I'm trying to track that error down but so far no luck.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Already tried a fresh WINEPREFIX?
Matt7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Matt7 »

I did a little more testing and with different software found that the storage hard drive is failing. It may well be the root of the problem. If the problem persists after changing out the storage I will return.