Newsleecher (2019) at startup splashscreen hidden

Questions about Wine on Linux
maximilian1st

Newsleecher (2019) at startup splashscreen hidden

Post by maximilian1st »

Hi all,
I try launching NewsLeecher after installing it on an Ubuntu 18.04.3 with Wine 4.14 devel but the initial splash screen remains hidden and the console has these messages:

~$ wine .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/NewsLeecher/NewsLeecher.exe
0009:fixme:thread:GetThreadUILanguage : stub, returning default language.
0009:fixme:nls:GetThreadPreferredUILanguages 00000038, 0x34d7f4, (nil) 0x34d81c
0009:fixme:nls:get_dummy_preferred_ui_language (0x38 0x34d7f4 (nil) 0x34d81c) returning a dummy value (current locale)
0009:fixme:nls:GetThreadPreferredUILanguages 00000038, 0x34d7f4, 0x169a680 0x34d81c
0009:fixme:nls:get_dummy_preferred_ui_language (0x38 0x34d7f4 0x169a680 0x34d81c) returning a dummy value (current locale)
0009:fixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0001007E 0x00000000
0009:fixme:uxtheme:BufferedPaintInit Stub ()
0009:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
0009:fixme:shell:FileIconInit (true)
0009:fixme:shell:SHGetKnownFolderIDList unsupported flags: 0x00001000
0009:fixme:d2d:d2d_factory_init Ignoring factory type 0x1.
0009:fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0034F7E8
0009:err:seh:setup_exception_record stack overflow 1644 bytes in thread 0009 eip 7bca9543 esp 00250cc4 stack 0x250000-0x251000-0x350000
^[
^C002b:fixme:console:CONSOLE_DefaultHandler Terminating process 8 on event 0

Does someone read something that could be helpful? Should it be launched with more verbose output to help out? It used to work 2 years ago. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Max.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Newsleecher (2019) at startup splashscreen hidden

Post by Bob Wya »

@maximilian1st

I presume you are testing the Newsleecher 8.0 Beta 1 release?

That's not a reliable way to start Windows applications with Wine.
You'd want something like:

Code: Select all

wine start 'C:\Program Files (x86)\NewsLeecher\NewsLeecher.exe'
See: Wine User's Guide: 3 Using Wine.

Maybe a Wine terminal log with:

export WINEDEBUG=+timestamp,+tid,+loaddll,+module,+seh
would be more helpful?

Please see: WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)?
- for the correct (/easier) way to get a Wine terminal log.

Also please, in future, use the forum Code tags:

- when posting terminal commands and output inline.

Update
:
FYI I got the application running with:

wine reg.exe ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DllOverrides" "/v" "dxgi" "/t" "REG_SZ" "/d" ""
winetricks winxp
using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX, and Wine (or Wine Staging) 4.14

For some reason the application is trying to load DirectX 10 / 11 libraries (why on earth??)

Thanks
Bob
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Bob Wya wrote:For some reason the application is trying to load DirectX 10 / 11 libraries (why on earth??)
It's not too uncommon anymore for applications to use DirectX to render their UI, sadly.

Do we have a bugreport for that issue already?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

DarkShadow44 wrote:...
Do we have a bugreport for that issue yet?
Your wish is my command: Bug 47638 - Newsleecher 8.0 Beta 1 - will not start with win7+dxgi enabled (workaround as winxp).
8)

Bob
maximilian1st

Post by maximilian1st »

Hi,

thank you very much for your help, using your magic command lines I can start Newsleecher 8 beta 1, version 5 final and 7 final. I used all of them for a while and can confirm that all functions work as they did in wine 1.6 and 1.7. I will have a look at the app db and see if I can add some test results for the current stable wine.

I hope you can sort out this bug so that the app will work with no "trick" in the future.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

maximilian1st wrote:Hi,

thank you very much for your help, using your magic command lines I can start Newsleecher 8 beta 1, version 5 final and 7 final. I used all of them for a while and can confirm that all functions work as they did in wine 1.6 and 1.7. I will have a look at the app db and see if I can add some test results for the current stable wine.

I hope you can sort out this bug so that the app will work with no "trick" in the future.
No worries. 8)

The bug, I raised, is the mechanism to document the path to finding a fix for the application. So it works OTTB. Any Wine developer can pick up this work.

Bob
maximilian1st

Post by maximilian1st »

Thank you for your input, it worked like a charm until wine 5.0 was released as a stable version. It does not start anymore and shows a crash window unfortunately. This is the normal log I get when starting the app:

002b:fixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 00010078 0x00000000
002b:err:module:import_dll Library dxgi.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\d3d10_1.dll") not found
002b:err:module:import_dll Library dxgi.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\D3D11.DLL") not found
002b:err:module:import_dll Library D3D11.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\d3d10_1.dll") not found
002b:err:module:import_dll Library d3d10_1.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\d2d1.dll") not found
002b:fixme:wtsapi:WTSUnRegisterSessionNotification Stub 00010078
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 01758D28 at address 00408E26 (thread 002b), starting debugger...
002d:fixme:dbghelp:elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module
The extended log, recorded in a file using the following command line as expressed above is about 3.5MB and I'm not sure I should post it here.

export WINEDEBUG=+timestamp,+tid,+loaddll,+module,+seh
In the meantime I will google my way to installing and keeping an older version of wine 4.20.

I'll gladly help if I can.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@maximilian1st

That's odd... My Newsleecher 64-bit WINEPREFIX with Newsleecher 8.0 Beta 1 still works OK, with Wine 5.1
I still need to use Windows XP and dxgi disabled.

I/ we can't really comment further, on your issues, without access to the "full" terminal log...
You could attach that to my existing bug report, I guess.

Bob
maximilian1st

Post by maximilian1st »

Hi Bob,

thank you for the info that it works for you and it probably would here too but I got into a dependency problem with wine and deleted it completely and it won't install anymore even after trying many of the solutions found online. I am fed up hahahaha. Really. I spent way too much time trying to get it to work. I guess I will just wait for ubuntu 20.04 and hope it will just install out of the box.

Keep on coding ;-)
Max.
JK1974

Post by JK1974 »

Hi Bob,

I have the same problem like maximilian1st recently described.
Environment: dietpi, based on Debian Buster AMD64, and Newsleecher 8.0 beta 4.

I first tried the delivered packages, but those just installed WINE 4.0. I got around the splash screen with your hints, but after the main window opened, I got an exception of the application itself.

Then, I removed those packages again and removed the .wine folder. I added the latest Debian 10 WineHQ packages as described at https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian and viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32192 with the OBS repository added before the dl.winehq.org entry.
I first tried the stable 5.0 and then the devel 5.5, unfortunately without success: The splash screen is not even shown, and the console shows the error messages about missing dxgi.dll files etc. and especially tons of "elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module".

The terminal log can be found at https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fl2q2lnajo2e ... 4.zip?dl=0 (seemed to be too big to be added as attachment here).

Thanks a lot in advance for your support!

Joerg
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@JK1974

Just to check you've set your WINEPREFIX to Windows XP as well (as disabling dxgi.dll):

winetricks winxp
??

You can also try disabling d3d11.dll:

wine reg.exe ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DllOverrides" "/v" "d3d11" "/t" "REG_SZ" "/d" ""
Bob
endzone102

Post by endzone102 »

I had to do a little drilling down (and probably one or two of these weren't really necessary) before I was able to get NewsLeecher 8.0 beta 4 working in Wine 5.17.1

wine reg.exe ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DllOverrides" "/v" "dxgi" "/t" "REG_SZ" "/d" ""
wine reg.exe ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DllOverrides" "/v" "d3d11" "/t" "REG_SZ" "/d" ""
wine reg.exe ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DllOverrides" "/v" "d3d10" "/t" "REG_SZ" "/d" ""
wine reg.exe ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DllOverrides" "/v" "d3d10_1" "/t" "REG_SZ" "/d" ""
wine reg.exe ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DllOverrides" "/v" "d2d1" "/t" "REG_SZ" "/d" ""

This was in addition to having to set it to Windows 7 in winecfg.

It's not quite all sunshine, though, as it's *continually* making the system noises for "unmaximizing", even when idle. It's really brutal. Additionally, it's always pushing itself to the top of the window stack, regardless of what I put over it.

Also, I had to change the desktop icon's launch location to point directly to the exe. Otherwise, it was firing up with no window at all.

Getting there, though!
endzone102

Post by endzone102 »

OK. I can't seem to do anything about the "unmaximizing" noises or the "always on top" issues. Oh, and it also re-centers itself.

Here are a few other issues that I found:

---------
I will get "Temporarily paused while decoding downloaded data" in the leeching status for each connection. It will sit there forever. I exit, wait a bit, which clears the status, but never exits. I then have to kill the process. Fortunately, it takes the TERM signal.

---------
The "Speed limit" is never reached, even when I push it down well below actual top speed. I know my connection can handle it, because I was using this same machine with windows, and had no issues with it hitting the max line.

---------
This happens fairly often. I can resume the queue with no problem, but have to repair the rar afterwards.
Bug ID:

Bug Data #1:
[ 20041103 ] - "20041103.part05.rar" assigned(ge) : -1 Error.toString : 0 - assigned(ge.extraData) : -1 - assigned(ge.extraData.dlParts) : 0

Bug Data #2:
Access violation at address 00D95A92 in module 'NewsLeecher.exe'. Read of address 00000008

---------
This didn't actually stop anything, it just popped up over and over and over again. It only did this for a few sessions, then it stopped happening.
Bug ID:
dcvjofnda

Bug Data #2:
Access violation at address 00D95790 in module 'NewsLeecher.exe'. Read of address 0000001D
---------
This one comes up when I try to delete entries from Unpacker, supersearch bookmarks, and sometimes from the Download queue. It will lock up, and then I get a Wine error when I exit, and I then have to kill the NewsLeecher process. This is especially problematic, since NewsLeecher will only run in XP mode.
Bug Data #1:
fdgsds43

Bug Data #2:
TTaskDialog requires Windows Vista or later
---------
This pops up over and over and over, but doesn't seem to be affecting anything. It was also only for a few sessions, and is gone now.
Bug ID:
plwofjric

Bug Data #1:

Bug Data #2:
Access violation at address 07F3CE12 in module 'libcrypto-1_1.dll'. Write of address 00000055

Fun stuff!