online firmware updates via wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
abraxa
Level 2
Level 2

online firmware updates via wine

Post by abraxa »

i got myself a bicycle computer, which can be updated (firmware & gps data) via an online converter.

before giving this a try and possibly breaking the device, i better ask here first: is this possible at all with wine?

i guess the online converter will just download and copy over the specific data to the device, so it is probably not as fragile as with bios updates.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Re: online firmware updates via wine

Post by Cybermax »

abraxa wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:30 am i guess the online converter will just download and copy over the specific data to the device, so it is probably not as fragile as with bios updates.
That kinda depends on how it is done on the device side i guess. If the device is somewhat self-updating, in a sense that if you put a specific file on its storage space, it will update itself without needing to be plugged in to a USB or similar, then it should work. However a lot of those "firmware updates" (like mice, or whatever USB device) does not really work like that, but rather use low-level communication over the usb bus. THIS i would not claim to be safe with wine.

I would not try to upgrade my gps via usb with wine, cos chances are some crap happens and you end up with a somewhat expensive paper-weight. Lets say the upgrader program you run through wine happens to try to write to some protected address space while transmitting data over the usb bus? Whamola - instant crash and end of story.

Conclusion: I would not try on something i was not prepared to replace. (Nor would i via a virtual machine - VirtualBox or similar - cos even tho ppl claim successes, it would not be the first time some usb-reinitialization during a firmware upgrade process makes the virtual usb driver go tits-up).
abraxa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abraxa »

thanks for evaluating.

it would not work anyways - the usb connected gps device is not recognized (by the software) at all.

i hoped to at least export the tour data (fit, tcx) with the help of the converter, now even this turns out to be impossible.

too bad, that linux is still such a niche and is unsupport for most of the time.

i am new to gps devices, is there chances, exporting data from the device will still work with a native linux tool?

can you recommend one?
powi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by powi »

You might want to try a real Windows in a VM software like VirtualBox for exporting the data.
Personally i'm running an onboard diagnostic tool for a car thru a USB2Serial adapter that way, which is pretty picky and runs flawless.