Correctly configuring Wine + Winetricks for the Battle.net Gamelauncher

Questions about Wine on Linux
ubuntunewbie123

Correctly configuring Wine + Winetricks for the Battle.net Gamelauncher

Post by ubuntunewbie123 »

Hello everyone!
First of all: I am a newbie to Ubuntu. Just switched from Windows to Ubuntu 19, latest update.

I want to use the Battle.net Gamelauncher to play Blizzard's games.

So far I did the following:
I installed wine-stable and winetricks via Terminal commands.
I then started the winetricks application from the application overview (the button at the end of the Launchbar from Ubuntu).

I installed corefonts. Then I wanted to install ie8 and vcrun2015.
It returned an error window saying I need to install it via a wine-32-bit prefix.
I then restarted winetricks, chose "Create a new wineprefix", selected 32 bit and clicked ok.
I then went back to the main menu and chose "Select wine-32".
Then I clicked on "Install a Windows DLL or a component" and chose ie8 and vcrun2015 from the list. Upon clicking ok 2 new error windows appear with the following text:
Running /usr/bin/wineserver -w. This will hang until all wine processes in prefix=/home/michael/.local/share/wineprefixes/wine-32 terminate
msls31 install completed, but installed file /home/michael/.local/share/wineprefixes/wine-32/dosdevices/c:/windows/syswow64/msls31.dll not found

I then went to start Terminal, cd'd into my Downloads folder, and entered "wine Battle.net-Setup.exe".

The Battle.net window appears and I install it in my language (German).
Then the Battle.net Login window appears. Everything is unuseable, Textboxes are incredibly tiny, buttons are all jammed together without any textlabels, everything is looking like a website without any CSS. I can not get past this window because it is simply unuseable.

Did I do anything wrong? Do I need to startover with a tutorial that actually works maybe?
I did look up many many tutorials on Google, all basicly say the same but nothing seems to work.

Thanks for all your help!
P.S.: If I need to start over, please explain to me how to delete wine, winetricks, all installed things from winetricks and the Battle.net launcher. Because I don't know how to do this, I am new to Ubuntu and am a Linux beginner in general. :o
lemba

Re: Correctly configuring Wine + Winetricks for the Battle.net Gamelauncher

Post by lemba »

You can try Lutris: https://lutris.net/games/battlenet/
Works for me :D