contact maintainer of ubuntu wine package

Questions about Wine on Linux
fargodwe

contact maintainer of ubuntu wine package

Post by fargodwe »

I have a program that about 2 years ago required the release candidate in order to work. Fast forward to December of 2019 - problem reappears in the stable release 4.02 (?) and had to use release candidate again to make it work. It appears perhaps something not being carried forward. I don't have a clue what but thought perhaps the ubuntu wine package maintainer might be able to track down and fix this problem in the ubuntu packages. Bob Wya using the same stable release but in a different version of Linux does not have this problem which is why I think it's an ubuntu package problem.

I am running linux Mint mate 64-bit 5.3.0-24 and followed the instructions on winehq to install wine.
dimesio

Re: contact maintainer of ubuntu wine package

Post by dimesio »

If the problem exists in the stable branch but not development or staging, then whatever the bug is has already been fixed and will be in the stable branch when 5.0 is released.
Bob Wya using the same stable release but in a different version of Linux does not have this problem which is why I think it's an ubuntu package problem.
I can't really say, since you haven't told me anything about the problem other than that it's only in the stable version.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

I have an old thread about running GEDSTARPRO in wine in which Bob Wya had worked with me and found I needed a release candidate then to get it to work. Linux Mint 18.x. I have had no need to update that until December when I was gifted a new Chromebook. I opened a new thread on it because the old thread was so old and I didn't know if the Chromebook had anything to do with it. I tested with a new linux mint 19.3 installation on my old laptop and had the same problem so it had nothing to do with the Chromebook. Even Bob Wya's last comment was that with as complex as wine it is sometimes things essentially get missed or regressed I have Linux Mint 19.3 running on it from a microSD card. The same exact program, using what at least then was the current stable release of 4. something (maybe 4.02?) failed again with the same exact failure. Bob Wya had me install the release candidate under staging - I think it is something like 5.0 rc4 - in order to get it to work again. Bob Wya had no problem with the current stable version but he is working with CentOS I believe he said whereas I am working with Mint - from Ubuntu. This is why I said that something in a release candidate (something like 3. something) back when to get it to work and then not having it work in stable release 4,02(?) would indicate to a layman that whatever "fixed" the problem in a release candidate for 3. something was lost between then and stable release 4.0x, but yet fixed again in staging release candidate 5.0 rc4. This is why i wanted to contact the person. Perhaps someone could just tell them to install gedstarpro (it's free) and also legacy9 (it's free to sample) and test this with the stable release 4.0x versus 5.0 rc4. As long as the linux mint instructions on winehq are followed - basically ubuntu bionic - the problem should replicate.

If you need some specific detail please ask and I'll do my best to provide it. I am simply just trying what has been a problem for me fixed when it has been fixed in release candidates but not in the stable releases that followed. At least that's how I see it.

I'm just layman so I don't know what kind of information I should include for this.

My old laptop was a Dell XPS 17 l702x with i7, 8gb memory, 2 internal sata drives (one SSD and one regular disk drive), built in dvd-rw, wireless, etc.. The Chromebook is an Acer CB350-2H with an AMD A4 processor and 4gb memory. I am running linux mint 19.3 on it via a microsd card via a firmware patch from mr.chromebook
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

fargodwe wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:08 am whatever "fixed" the problem in a release candidate for 3. something was lost between then and stable release 4.0x, but yet fixed again in staging release candidate 5.0 rc4.
You should have mentioned you tested staging, not development. Patches in staging are by definition not yet ready for inclusion in the main tree. Staging patches are not automatically carried over to the other branches--they have to be submitted to and accepted in the development branch first, and only then will eventually be included in the next stable release. There are quite a few patches in staging that have been there for years and may never be in good enough shape to be included in mainline Wine.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

There are currently 3 "branches" of wine.
Wine-stable: This is the "Stable" release, and is updated maybe 2-3 times a year. This is what distro's themselves create packages for. (Depending on distro ofc).
Wine-dev: This is the "testing" branch. New patches leading up to a new "stable" release. This may or may not have regressions, but best of all have new functions. However, that is NOT included by distro's, but need to either build yourself, or use WineHQ repo.
Wine-staging: This is wine-dev + "staging" patchset, and as Dimesio is saying, contains a lot of experimental patches that for various reasons are not included (or possibly will ever be) in wine-dev or wine-stable.

At the moment there is also the "Release candidate" (just cos you mentioned it, but i am not sure you understand what it means) branch. This is wine-dev that is going to be wine-stable. So basically it is something like wine-dev-4.20 + bugfixes. Currently at 5.0-rc5. This is released weekly, and will in a couple of weeks (or sooner) become the new wine-stable-5.0.

So, if anyone should have any chance of helping you, get the version you are using correctly by eg. doing something like: "dpkg -l| grep -i wine"

Paste the output of that in some [ code ] tags when posting, and things hopefully improve :)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Cybermax wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:38 pm At the moment there is also the "Release candidate" (just cos you mentioned it, but i am not sure you understand what it means) branch. This is wine-dev that is going to be wine-stable. So basically it is something like wine-dev-4.20 + bugfixes. Currently at 5.0-rc5. This is released weekly, and will in a couple of weeks (or sooner) become the new wine-stable-5.0.
Hmm, not to be pedantic (again) but Wine 5.0-rc* is actually based off wine-devel-4.21 ... :lol:

Bob
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Sorry for the confusion - as Bob can tell you I really don't understand all of this - just an extreme novice getting something to work and Bob's help is what made it work.

Here is what you requested:

Code: Select all

dave@dave-test-linux:~$ dpkg -l| grep -i wine
ii  wine-staging                               5.0~rc5~bionic                                   amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine-staging-amd64                         5.0~rc5~bionic                                   amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine-staging-i386:i386                     5.0~rc5~bionic                                   i386         WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  winehq-staging                             5.0~rc5~bionic                                   amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
dave@dave-test-linux:~$ 
I followed the instructions on a thread in the forum (sorry but no I don't remember the thread) for installing the "release candidate" if that's the correct terminology.

If it would help any then when the "release candidate" I used ("staging" ?) becomes the stable version I could remove what I have and start with it to see if the problem persist when it is moved.

The reason I thought this was an a problem with the "ubuntu branch", if that is the correct term, is that Bob Wya did not have the problem in the stable release for CentOS. To me that indicated a problem unique to the "ubuntu branch". Sorry if the terminology is not correct. I hope you can make out what I am saying.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

If it would help any then when the "release candidate" I used ("staging" ?) becomes the stable version I could remove what I have and start with it to see if the problem persist when it is moved.
Staging is never going to become the stable branch; reread what I wrote above about why. But yes, you can test 5.0 when it is released.
The reason I thought this was an a problem with the "ubuntu branch", if that is the correct term, is that Bob Wya did not have the problem in the stable release for CentOS.
I'd be surprised if anyone was able to make much of anything work in CentOS, given that it is only available in 64 bit, which is why we don't build packages for it. I think what Bob is running is Gentoo.

As for this being an Ubuntu packaging issue, packages for stable, development, and staging are built in the same environment, using the same build flags. There can, however, be differences between distros due to different versions of Wine's dependencies shipped by the distros. That is not a packaging or Wine bug; it's just something you have to consider when deciding what distro to use.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

I probably got wrong what Bob is running.

The point I'm trying to make here is this:

back when I first opened a thread on GedStarPro in wine I had to use a release candidate, I believe 3 or 3. something to get it to work. That was a long time ago. Whatever got included in that release candidate apparently didn't make it through to stable 4.0.x as it failed again with the same error - that's why I thought regression. I tried to install the non-staging branch but had errors so I followed the other thread to install staging. Again, GedStarPro worked again. So back when 3.x was a release candidate it worked, stable branch 4.0.x didn't, staging 5.0 rc5 did. Something is missing. It also to me seems to be an ubuntu "branch" or whatever the term is "thing" as Bob Wya was not having the problem with the stable branch 4.0.x (x being something I don't remember - maybe 2). So it must be a valid patch if it was included in the Gentoo(?) stable branch, but yet it's not in the Ubuntu stable branch. This patch would have something to do with programmatically opening a jet database.

If this is a dead end just say so. It seems to me to be a valid point to be looked into. I didn't consider it a packaging thing but perhaps. It just seems strange to work with one release, not in the next one for ubuntu.

Obviously I'm just a novice old guy trying to just use wine. I don't have a clue about the things you all do.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

fargodwe wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:12 am Whatever got included in that release candidate apparently didn't make it through to stable 4.0.x as it failed again with the same error - that's why I thought regression.
If the release candidate you tested two years ago was staging, not development, then that is NOT a regression. As I've repeatedly told you, staging consists entirely of experimental patches that are not guaranteed to ever make it into the stable release.
I tried to install the non-staging branch but had errors so I followed the other thread to install staging.
What exactly were those errors? If you could install the WineHQ staging packages you should have been able to install the development ones.
It also to me seems to be an ubuntu "branch" or whatever the term is "thing" as Bob Wya was not having the problem with the stable branch 4.0.x (x being something I don't remember - maybe 2). So it must be a valid patch if it was included in the Gentoo(?) stable branch, but yet it's not in the Ubuntu stable branch. This patch would have something to do with programmatically opening a jet database.
Ubuntu is a distro, not a branch. We build packages for Ubuntu for all three branches of Wine. As for patches, the WIneHQ packages are unmodified Wine, but distros sometimes add patches to their packages. These patches are not part of Wine, are not supported here, and will never be included in Wine unless someone submits them in a form that is good enough to be accepted.
I didn't consider it a packaging thing but perhaps.
Well yes, you did; your subject line is "contact maintainer of ubuntu wine package." That's me. And FYI, I am not a Wine developer, so even if there is a regression in the code, there's nothing I can do about it. I just package the unmodified official releases.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

I guess I have not communicated well enough for everyone to understand. Therefore I'm going to drop this and just fight the problem every time a new version of wine stable is released, which to me seems rather ridiculous.

Sorry to have apparently wasted everyone's time over what I think is a legitimate concern. Consider this closed.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

Bob Wya wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:12 pm
Cybermax wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:38 pm ....So basically it is something like wine-dev-4.20...
Hmm, not to be pedantic (again) but Wine 5.0-rc* is actually based off wine-devel-4.21 ... :lol:

Bob
Well, pedantic or not, the phrasing "something like" is close enough to not warrant that... Ie. "there is something like a gazillion miles to the moon". Oh, i'm just giggling, so no problemo :twisted:

Anyway, to the case.

Something that is perhaps not really well explained here fargodwe, is that every time there is something outside of "perfect wine code", things are dropped faster than a hot potato when it comes to help.

The thing about staging, is that it is a testing ground for patches. Sometimes patches in the "staging" branch will be dropped for various reasons without very well explanations. I will give you an example:
Lets say wine-staging-3.8 gets a patch fixing some secure https channel thing that is required for the game "shooter". Now, this patch is a "hack" and since the wine developers are really really really particular of what to implement, this may or may not get worked on to get to a functioning level.
So, a few weeks later its time for wine-staging-4.0 (Release). Some changes to that makes this patch fuck everything up. If none is willing to do the programming work to fix this patch, it will simply be dropped. Not really much of an explanation unless you read some GIT comments or perhaps read minds. This might have happened during the "release candidate" fixup, and since it most likely was not a "real" patch, it is therefor not what is considered a regression.

You could post a bug report with logs and stuff on the bugzilla page https://bugs.winehq.org/ but you kinda need to do it correct + have the proper and correct logs.

However, there is absolutely NO PROBLEM using tools like Lutris or PlayOnLinux to download pre-compiled binaries of older versions of wine and run your program with a version of wine that works. It works totally outside of the distro provided package, and will not change version unless you update it. However, do NOT ask about this in THIS forum, cos that is ALSO one of the things that the devs shun like the plague. (So google it, in case i get the banhammer for posting a link to said programs).