winecfg not saving drive-configuration

Questions about Wine on Linux
whatbug
Level 3
Level 3

winecfg not saving drive-configuration

Post by whatbug »

Hi there,
I'm looking for a way to remove all drives (except drive c) in wine. When I start winecfg and remove them by hand all active linux-partitions re-appear next time wine is started. This is incredible annoying!

I found out in this post that it was a new "feature", introduced in wine-1.3.36. Someone told me how to shut-off auto-mount by hand: disabling winedevice.exe in the libraries-tab in winecfg turns-off the auto-mount-feature. Unfortunately, it also switches-off drive c, so running apps in a wineprefix won't work anymore. The linux-root-folder however, always is visible - no matter if winedevice.exe is disabled or not.
Is there a way to securely run wine-apps in a wineprefix? I'm testing old software here and don't want viruses to spread to ntfs-partitions of the main-system.
dimesio

Re: winecfg not saving drive-configuration

Post by dimesio »

whatbug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by whatbug »

Wine does not (and cannot) stop a Windows app directly making native syscalls, messing with your files, altering your startup scripts, or doing other nasty things.
...a windows-program doing linux-syscalls and changing linux-startup-scripts.... :| This just doesn't exist. For this to happen you need to catch a very special virus, programmed to run in wine.
Wine shall not protect linux from getting infected. I want it to stop soft-linking my ntfs-partitions in the wineprefix-folder. This behavior is completely stupid.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Your question was
Is there a way to securely run wine-apps in a wineprefix?
And the answer I pointed you to said
You need to use AppArmor, SELinux or some type of virtual machine if you want to properly sandbox Windows apps.
As for
I want it to stop soft-linking my ntfs-partitions in the wineprefix-folder.
the FAQ item also said
the winetricks sandbox verb merely removes the desktop integration and Z: drive symlinks
which seems to be what you want.
whatbug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by whatbug »

"winetricks sandbox verb"...? Guess I didn't get that. Not sure what this means. I will search on the web for that. Thank you anyway...
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

whatbug wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:14 am "winetricks sandbox verb"...? Guess I didn't get that. Not sure what this means. I will search on the web for that. Thank you anyway...
@whatbug

See: WineHQ Wiki: Winetricks.

You just type:

Code: Select all

winetricks sandbox
Ensuring first that you have an up-to-date version of the winetricks script.
See: Github: bobwya/winetricks README.
Which has some rather verbose instructions on how to keep winetricks up-to-date... :lol:

Bob
whatbug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by whatbug »

thanks for your help