Can't execute second step in Build Wine tutorial

Questions about Wine on Linux
OpenSourceExp

Can't execute second step in Build Wine tutorial

Post by OpenSourceExp »

Good day community, I'm posting here seeking for help. This is kind of a bug, but as it's not a wine bug per se I'm not posting in Bugzilla.

I was trying to build wine from source because I have Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa, and I know no way of installing wine-staging in this operating system yet (I guess that in april of 2020 wine-staging will come out for Focal Fossa, so in 4 months...)

The only windows software I use is Starcraft 2, and it only works with wine-staging (the stable version always drops out with a generic "an unexpected fatal error occurred"). I have used Starcraft 2 for years with wine-staging, but in Focal Fossa I can't install wine-staging (already tried with wine-staging for Ubuntu 19.10 but it doesn't work)

So... sorry for this long introduction, the actual problem is that I want to build wine-staging from source, for this reason I was following the official tutorial here: https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Wine

The first step in said tutorial is getting the source code in an appropriate folder, with the command: "git clone git://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git"

This command succeeded, so the next step is to determine the necessary build dependencies... here comes the strange part, according to the tutorial, and I quote "After using package management, the surest way to figure out exactly what dependencies you still need is to start the build process & run the configure script from wine's source directory:

./configure --options
"

So I ran the configure script with the --options flag, and to my surprise, it said that the "--options" option doesn't exist. The program advised me to execute "configure --help" I did it, and scrutinized the output, just to find out that actually, the --options flag doesn't exist. So my questions are: is the person who wrote that tutorial aware of this situation? also, is there a way to know the build dependencies for me to build wine from source?

Thank you very much for your attention.
dimesio

Re: Can't execute second step in Build Wine tutorial

Post by dimesio »

You are supposed to substitute the options you want for the word "options" in the example, e.g.,

Code: Select all

./configure --enable-win64 --disable-tests
./configure --help tells you what the available options are, just under the part that says "For better control, use the options below."

As the wiki says, you run configure to find out what dependencies you are missing.
OpenSourceExp

Re: Can't execute second step in Build Wine tutorial

Post by OpenSourceExp »

Thank you soo much dimesio!! ... I feel so ashamed, I want to delete my post :O . . I don't think many people get to the same confusion as me.. are you the one who wrote that tutorial? The reason I got confused is because the line "./configure --options" was written with code format (like the one you posted) so I thought I had to type it like that, maybe a more standard way to write it would be "./configure [--options]" then I would have known to not type it literally, because [--options] are optional ... also getting the build dependencies is of extreme care, if the way to get the dependencies is just with "./configure" then the tutorial should say "./configure" and then later talk about the options.. but I don't know, most probably this confusion only happens to few people or only me xD I'm sorry, it's obvious now