Wine does not detect png.h and jpeglib.h?

Questions about Wine on Linux
kromak
Level 2
Level 2

Wine does not detect png.h and jpeglib.h?

Post by kromak »

Hello. I am trying to compile wine 1.5.1. I created symbolic links to png.h and jpeglib.h on usr/local/include since I installed them on /media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas
as can be seen on the image:

Yet I receive from Wine:

Code: Select all

checking png.h usability... no
checking png.h presence... no

checking jpeglib.h usability... no
checking jpeglib.h presence... no
So I ask: 1)What can I do to make Wine detect both files? 2)Does it really matter? For what Wine uses them? At least at first I do not care about taking screenshots. Thanks for your time.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wine does not detect png.h and jpeglib.h?

Post by spoon0042 »

Most likely it's failing because you're trying to build a nearly eight year old wine version with current dependencies. Do you have a good reason to be doing that?

The Download page has instructions for installing up-to-date wine on several distros.
kromak
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kromak »

spoon0042 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:16 pm Most likely it's failing because you're trying to build a nearly eight year old wine version with current dependencies. Do you have a good reason to be doing that?
Current dependencies? The JPEG is from 2008 and that it is newest version. The png The reason is the 1.5.1 is the lowest version that might solve my issue with Age of Empires 2. That together with the fact that older versions tend to occupy less disk space and also usually require older dependencies, which are usually easier to compile and also occupies less disk space.
The Download page has instructions for installing up-to-date wine on several distros.
The distro instructions are not relevant, since my distro is not among them. Nonetheless I will check instructions from building from source, but I bet that the detection problem will persist. It is happening in another software that I am trying to compile too and is happening with other required header files, although with some is not

EDITED: I read the instructions and did not see anything related with my kind of problem. In another bizarre issue, I am receving from configure
configure: fontconfig development files not found, fontconfig won't be supported.
even though I created symbolic links to the required header files mentioned before in /usr/local/include. If I remove these symbolic links and instead use PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/pathToFontConfig/FontConfig/ also does not work.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

I meant that those dependencies may be newer than the ones an ancient wine build is looking for. You can try looking through config.log and configure to try to debug those and your other build issues.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Why don't you use apt-get with the build-dep option to get all the Wine build dependencies?

sudo apt-get build-dep wine
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

jkfloris wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:13 pm Why don't you use apt-get with the build-dep option to get all the Wine build dependencies?

OP has not deigned to tell us what Linux distribution he is using:
kromak wrote:The distro instructions are not relevant, since my distro is not among them.
Makes it hard to help him... :roll:

Bob
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

OP has not deigned to tell us what Linux distribution he is using:
In an other topic the OP says he uses Ubuntu 10.04.
I successfully compiled Wine 1.5.1 (32-bit only) inside a VM with Ubuntu 10.04 (i386) with only the following steps:

cd wine-1.5.1
./configure
make
kromak
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kromak »

Thanks for the answer. I followed the instructions. However decided to try it with the newest stable release. During the make stage. I received this:

bison -p parser_ -o parser.tab.c -d parser.y
parser.y:321.21-27: syntax error, unexpected identifier
make[1]: *** [parser.tab.h] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/wine-4.0.3/tools/widl'
make: *** [tools/widl] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Yet the compilation proceed a little more:

gcc -m32 -c -o loader.o loader.c -I. -I../../include -D__WINESRC__ -DWINE_UNICODE_API="" -D_REENTRANT -fPIC \
  -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wempty-body -Wignored-qualifiers \
  -Wstrict-prototypes -Wtype-limits -Wvla -Wwrite-strings -Wpointer-arith -gdwarf-2 \
  -fno-omit-frame-pointer -g -O2 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=0
gcc -m32 -c -o readres.o readres.c -I. -I../../include -D__WINESRC__ -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing \
  -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wempty-body -Wignored-qualifiers -Wstrict-prototypes -Wtype-limits \
  -Wvla -Wwrite-strings -Wpointer-arith -gdwarf-2 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -g -O2 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=0
gcc -m32 -c -o mmap.o mmap.c -I. -I../../include -D__WINESRC__ -DWINE_UNICODE_API="" -D_REENTRANT -fPIC \
  -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wempty-body -Wignored-qualifiers \
  -Wstrict-prototypes -Wtype-limits -Wvla -Wwrite-strings -Wpointer-arith -gdwarf-2 \
gcc -m32 -c -o translation.o translation.c -I. -I../../include -D__WINESRC__ -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing \
  -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wempty-body -Wignored-qualifiers -Wstrict-prototypes -Wtype-limits \
  -Wvla -Wwrite-strings -Wpointer-arith -gdwarf-2 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -g -O2 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=0
gcc -m32 -c -o utils.o utils.c -I. -I../../include -D__WINESRC__ -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing \
gcc -m32 -c -o port.o port.c -I. -I../../include -D__WINESRC__ -DWINE_UNICODE_API="" -D_REENTRANT -fPIC \
gcc -m32 -c -o sortkey.o sortkey.c -I. -I../../include -D__WINESRC__ -DWINE_UNICODE_API="" -D_REENTRANT -fPIC \
gcc -m32 -c -o string.o string.c -I. -I../../include -D__WINESRC__ -DWINE_UNICODE_API="" -D_REENTRANT -fPIC \
gcc -m32 -c -o wctype.o wctype.c -I. -I../../include -D__WINESRC__ -DWINE_UNICODE_API="" -D_REENTRANT -fPIC \
gcc -m32 -c -o wrc.o wrc.c -I. -I../../include -D__WINESRC__ -DINCLUDEDIR="\"/media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/Wine-4.0.3/include/wine\"" -Wall \
  -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wempty-body -Wignored-qualifiers \
gcc -m32 -c -o writeres.o writeres.c -I. -I../../include -D__WINESRC__ -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing \
version=`(GIT_DIR=../../.git git describe HEAD 2>/dev/null || echo "wine-4.0.3") | sed -n -e '$s/\(.*\)/const char wine_build[] = "\1";/p'` && (echo $version | cmp -s - version.c) || echo $version >version.c || (rm -f version.c && exit 1)
bison -p parser_ -o parser.tab.c -d parser.y
parser.y: conflicts: 5 shift/reduce
gcc -m32 -c -o version.o version.c -I. -I../../include -D__WINESRC__ -DWINE_UNICODE_API="" -D_REENTRANT -fPIC \
gcc -m32 -o libwine.so.1.0 casemap.o collation.o config.o debug.o ldt.o loader.o mmap.o port.o sortkey.o string.o \
  wctype.o version.o -shared -Wl,-soname,libwine.so.1 -Wl,--version-script=./wine.map \
  ../../libs/port/libwine_port.a -ldl 
flex -oparser.yy.c parser.l
bison -p parser_ -o parser.tab.c parser.y
gcc -m32 -c -o parser.yy.o parser.yy.c -I. -I../../include -D__WINESRC__ -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing \
parser.y: conflicts: 5 shift/reduce
rm -f libwine.so.1 && ln -s libwine.so.1.0 libwine.so.1
rm -f libwine.so && ln -s libwine.so.1 libwine.so
make[1]: Leaving directory `/media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/wine-4.0.3/libs/wine'
gcc -m32 -c -o parser.tab.o parser.tab.c -I. -I../../include -D__WINESRC__ -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing \
gcc -m32 -o wrc dumpres.o genres.o newstruc.o po.o readres.o translation.o utils.o wrc.o writeres.o \
  parser.tab.o parser.yy.o ../../libs/port/libwine_port.a ../../libs/wpp/libwpp.a 
No idea about the precise cause. Perhaps another bison version would make it work?
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

kromak wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:31 pm No idea about the precise cause. Perhaps another bison version would make it work?
It's a definite possibility. xenial and bionic both have a 3.0.4 bison version. I don't know what 10.04 has if you're still on that.

It could (possibly) also be flex causing an issue. xenial and bionic have 2.6.0 and 2.6.4 respectively.

It may be a bit of a headache getting a current wine built on 10.04 if it's even possible.