Code: Select all

load_jet40()
{
    w_call mdac27
    w_call wsh57

# https://support.microsoft.com/kb/239114
    # See also https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6085
    # FIXME: "failed with error 2"
    w_download https://download.microsoft.com/download/4/3/9/4393c9ac-e69e-458d-9f6d-2fe191c51469/jet40sp8_9xnt.exe b060246cd499085a31f15873689d5fa7df817e407c8261a5c71fa6b9f7042560

w_try_cd "$W_CACHE/$W_PACKAGE"
    w_try "$WINE" jet40sp8_9xnt.exe $W_UNATTENDED_SLASH_Q
}
So winetricks uses the mdac27 verb internally to implement jet40.

This probably a duplicate of: Bug 37484 - Many applications need Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library, CLSID '{00000100-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}' ('winetricks -q jet40' is a workaround) ...

Since a trace log for Gedstar Pro contains:

000d: enum_key() = 0 { subkeys=1, max_subkey=0, max_class=0, values=1, max_value=0, max_data=0, modif=1d378b66bfc2eec (-149.0617210), total=30, namelen=30, name=L"DAO.DBEngine.36", class=L"" }
but not the CLSID GUID...

Bob
fargodwe

Re: GedStar Pro

Post by fargodwe »

Thanks for the info. While I'm still waiting for my "good" laptop to download the windows 10 creators update (I only have a 5mb connection) I got out an old laptop running a version of lubuntu from a few years ago. I did the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade "thing" to get what I could up to date. I then installed wine and winetricks. I then installed jet40 via winetricks and indeed it in turn install mdac27. I still had the same problem running gedstar pro. I shutdown the old laptop. Now as I'm posting this I bet I need to go back and put the overrides that show for wine itself and declare those same overrides in the gedstar pro part of winecfg. I'll try that later and let you know. I have cancer treatments each morning M-F at 8 a.m. and it's going on 1:25 a.m. here now so I need to get to bed. Thanks for all the work. I need to re-read your last post as there is some things I didn't understand but I'm sure I can just look up the keywords on the net and get some good reading material to figure it out.

Well, couldn't stand the wait so I tried it - no go. I'm running a 32-bit wine prefix as windows xp. About the ID you mentioned - is there some sort of work around for that?
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

I tried the winetricks -q jet40 but no difference. I watched as it installed some odbc, ole and sql components but it failed with:

Executing wine jet40sp8_9xnt.exe /q
fixme:setupapi:extract_cabinet_file awful hack: extracting cabinet "C:\\users\\me\\Temp\\IXP001.TMP\Jetsetup.CAB"
sh: 0:getcwd() failed: No such file or directory
err:ole:TLB_ReadTypeLib Loading of typelib "C:\\Program files\\Common files\\Microsoft shared\\dao\\dao2535.tlb" failed with error 1006
followed by an immediate return to the command line.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

fargodwe wrote:I tried the winetricks -q jet40 but no difference. I watched as it installed some odbc, ole and sql components but it failed with:

Executing wine jet40sp8_9xnt.exe /q
fixme:setupapi:extract_cabinet_file awful hack: extracting cabinet "C:\\users\\me\\Temp\\IXP001.TMP\Jetsetup.CAB"
sh: 0:getcwd() failed: No such file or directory
err:ole:TLB_ReadTypeLib Loading of typelib "C:\\Program files\\Common files\\Microsoft shared\\dao\\dao2535.tlb" failed with error 1006
followed by an immediate return to the command line.
Wine does produce that error - but the database library should still be installed.
Check with:

find "${WINEPREFIX:-${HOME}/.wine}/drive_c" -iname "dao360.dll"
So I'd test GedStar Pro again - before giving up hope!

The GUID is just a code that Microsoft to identify all the system objects uniquely.
I was merely pointing that the linked bug report had references to the DAO library CLSID - not the name of the library - like the trace from GedStar Pro.
None of that is relevant to you getting the application working! It was just an observation... 8)

Bob
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

So basically it sounds like a guid is a uuid but for software components.

I haven't had a chance to check the dll in wine yet but I hope to do that later this evening.

BTW - after the overrides were added to "default" in winecfg did you add the app gedstar pro to winecfg and define those same overrides or did you just let it run as is?

Also - I did get lubuntu updated to 16.0x, so while not up to date perhaps if I delete everything wine and start over it will act differently.

Thanks again!
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Just tried removing wine and winetricks then reloading them and running winetricks -q jet40. It ran as before. I checked for the existence of the dao file and it is present.

I tried gedstar again and it still doesn't open the database. So I had a thought and checked the version of wine it is installing:

20140817 - sha1sum: b6ad9287523453a33e443ef2f4bd77f2f7f49e21
So it installed an older version of wine - perhaps I need to try distribution upgrade again and see if I can eventually get to the current version being available.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Hi Bob.

The old laptop I am running lubuntu on until my "good" laptop finishes updating (it's STILL downloading!) is running zenial under the hood non-pae 32-bit. I uninstalled everything wine, deleted the .wine prefix folder, etc. I then went through the installation of wine 3.0-rc2 as per the winehq how-to. I set everything back up again and tested gedstar pro. Still gives an error at the point where it would be opening the database.

Wanted to let you know all of this. I won't be posting again until after my "good" laptop is finally back to Windows 10, I installed Mint for dual-boot, then set up wine, etc., all again and test.

Thanks for your help!
Dave
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

fargodwe wrote:...

20140817 - sha1sum: b6ad9287523453a33e443ef2f4bd77f2f7f49e21
You need to update your system winetricks script - as Debian, and derivatives, tend to ship a very out-dated version... :roll:
See: WineHQ Wiki: Winetricks ...

Bob
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Thanks Bob. I completely removed my wine prefix, removed the cache folders, uninstalled winetricks. I then recreated the wine prefix and then followed the link to install the latest winetricks. Used it to install jet40. Did notice a difference since I no longer needed to manually download the mdac27 package.

I reinstalled GedStar Pro and tried to run it - get the same error. It's from one of the pieces of the GedStar executable and still says unable to open the database.

Thanks again!
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@fargodwe

Is that with a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX - set to Windows XP (with winecfg)?

Bob
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

well, I deleted the .wine folder itself than ran winecfg and used windows xp. My download is finally 99% done so I should be able to finish up the Windows 10 update today and try installing Mint 18.3 again for dual boot so I can test again. Thanks again!
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Hi Bob. A little disapointed. I finally got Windows 10 upgrade to creators update finished. I then loaded Linux Mint 18.2 Sarah 64-bit and ran update/upgrade. I then installed the latest wine 3.0-rc2 followed by the latest winetricks. I goofed up and created a 64-bit wine prefix. Deleted it, cleared out the wine and winetricks folders from cache, then created a 32-bit wine prefix. Ran "winetricks jet40" and it installed everything correctly. Installed the GedStar Pro windows app then ran against the sample database. Still errors out when trying to open the database.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

fargodwe wrote:Hi Bob. A little disapointed. I finally got Windows 10 upgrade to creators update finished. I then loaded Linux Mint 18.2 Sarah 64-bit and ran update/upgrade. I then installed the latest wine 3.0-rc2 followed by the latest winetricks. I goofed up and created a 64-bit wine prefix. Deleted it, cleared out the wine and winetricks folders from cache, then created a 32-bit wine prefix. Ran "winetricks jet40" and it installed everything correctly. Installed the GedStar Pro windows app then ran against the sample database. Still errors out when trying to open the database.
Sorry my bad... You actually need:

winetricks mdac28
winetricks jet40
I ignored the former item - because the mdac28 verb fails to install my system (due to a synchronisation/timing issue).
But apparently that is important... I think the install order matters (mdac28 first) - but I'm not sure. :?

Bob
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

HOLY CRAP IT WORKS!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR STICKING WITH SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND GETTING THIS WORKING!!

I can't thank you enough Bob!!

Is there a way the page that lists the status of applications in wine could be updated to include your directions - newest wine, newest winetricks, 32-bit wine prefix, using winetricks at the command line to install mdac28, and finally using winetricks to install jet40?

This is a real game changer for me - I can now stay completely in linux!

THANK YOU!!!!!
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

More great news!

1. As long as the prefix is 32-bit it seems to work with any version of Windows set via winecfg. I've tried Windows 7 and Windows 10 with no problems. There is no problem with the "hidden" aspect of the wine folder when selecting the database either - that was just me being stupid. All I had to do was select my computer on the selection menu and then select the C: drive to navigate to the database file.

2. I emailed the creator of GedStar Pro and he says GedStar Pro should work up to version 9. So this means the newer versions of Legacy Family Tree should work in wine and with GedStar Pro in wine.

I cannot not thank you enough Bob!!
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@fargodwe,

Glad you got it sorted! 8)

I'll add WineHQ AppDB entries for these 2 applications when I get some spare time (probably in January now)...

Now I wonder what's causing that weird timing problem with installing the mdac28 verb on my system...??? :wink:

Bob
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

With all the help you have given me I wish I was smart enough to know how to help you in return - but I don't have a clue!

I can report the following:

The newest download of Legacy Family Tree is version 9.5. I downloaded it and it installed and runs in wine just great! The GedStar Pro program still processed the sample file from version 9.5. So, the good news is that anyone can run up-to-date Legacy Family Tree. They can run GedStar Pro as long as it is a 32-bit prefix and follow the other steps you gave me.

Did I say thanks again?? !!!
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Bob Wya - I created an account in the wineappdb portion and submitted an update to the page for gedstar pro.

Thanks again!
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@fargodwe,

RE: my comments for your WineHQ AppDB test submission for: Legacy Family Tree...
A quick bullet list of stuff tested and working / not working is all that is required for a test submission.
The classic / lazy "(almost) everything was tested" is not helpful to anyone else wanting to run the application!
I can't fill that information in - because I don't use this application personally.

Bob
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

i'll see if i can more detailed info and try to submit it again later.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Bob, id you're still out there, I could really use your help again.

My old laptop died and my brother inlaw and sister gave me a Chromebook for Christmas. I have Linux Mint 19.3 running of a microSD card so I have a full blown linux installation.

Well, I've gone through the steps to recreate GedStarPro under wine. I'm getting the same problem again.

I've created a 32-bit prefix, installed GedStar Pro, used winetricks to install mdac28 and then jet40.

It's been a no go.

Is it possible something has changed either in how Linux Mint uses wine, wine has changed or winetricks has changed since back then and is causing the problem?

I installed the latest stable wine and the newest winetricks from the winehq site.

If you're still out there, or if there is anyone else who might be able to help me, I'd really appreciate some help again!
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Tried to edit - wouldn't let me. For some reason something about replacing a dll file keeps coming to mind but I can't find that looking through the thread. Something about going back to an older versioin of the dll?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

fargodwe wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:31 pm ...
I've created a 32-bit prefix, installed GedStar Pro, used winetricks to install mdac28 and then jet40.

It's been a no go.
Yes I'm still alive! But this thread is pretty dead... :cry:
You can't just resurrect a 2 year old forum posting and expect me to know what issues you are experiencing now (by ESP or something similar)!
Is it still problems opening the Tree Of Life sample database (sample.fdb) - to convert it with GedStar Pro?
That

Btw I see I still have my ged_star_pro_32 WINEPREFIX...
I can still open and convert the sample database (sample.fdb) with GedStar Pro.

Bob
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Thanks for replying Bob! It might be more appropriate for me to start a new thread given a change in circumstance regarding my PC hardware. After you read this let me know if you think I should probably do that. BTW - I'm quite surprised you still have your GedStar wineprefix!

So, some detail that may help:

My old laptop which I was using during all the previous replies on this post died. I bought a Dell XPS 17 running Windows 10 so of course GedStarPro still runs on it.

I was gifted a new Acer Chromebook for Christmas. I used MrChromebook's firmware utility to add boot legacy and boot usb support to the firmware. Running a live linux Mint 19.3 64-bit live media I installed Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit to a microSD card. So, I am running a full-blown linux Mint 19.3 installation but booted on a Chromebook instead of ChromeOS.

Over the weekend I went to winehq and followed the instructions for installing it for ubuntuMint. While still there I installed winetricks

I created my WINE-PREFIXES directory and created a LEGACY9 directory in it and installed Legacy 9 to that prefix and it runs fine as per before.

I created a GEDSTAR directory in WINE-PREFIXES as a 32-bit Windows XP prefix. I then loaded the database support as per your instruction previously in this thread:

winetricks -q mdac28
winetricks -q jet40
I then instatlled GedStarPro to that prefix.

Started GedStarPro and selected the sample database. Clicked on convert data base and got the error from the program about unable to open the database and gave detail as a .cpp module.

So, I thought maybe I installed the windows C runtime environment in the previous prefix using winetricks, so I tried that now but there are no selections now for the c runtime packages.

That's where I'm at now - I hope that helps. I was thinking maybe I should start a new thread titled "GedStarPro, Chromebook running linux Mint 19.3 from microSD" but didn't know if I should do that or not. If you think that would be a good idea considering the Chromebook and booting linux Mint on it from a microSD card is quite different from the prior configuation.

Thanks again!
Dave
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Never mind on the c runtime. found it, installed it, didn't make any difference. Recreating the prefix so it is clean so I can start over,