Winlink Express Forms

Questions about Wine on Linux
MythX
Level 2
Level 2

Winlink Express Forms

Post by MythX »

I've been fighting with this for a few weeks now. I think I can use some help.

I have this mostly working, but one important feature still eludes me. Winlink, or RMS Express, runs a form server, this loads a form into the browser to be filled out. Once submitted, it feeds the info back to the application for submission.

I have both chrome and firefox installed in this wineprefix.

When I go to load the form (the step that brings it up in the browser), I get an error: Error processing form: Call not implemented.

Here's what I see in the console for that step:
014f:fixme:httpapi:HttpCreateHttpHandle (0x32e0b4, 0): stub!

As far as I can tell, it's a feature not yet supported. Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks
MythX
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Winlink Express Forms

Post by MythX »

I haven't had any responses. I'm not sure if that's a sign that I'm just out of luck, or that I should explain something better. I'm not a Wine power user, but I do enjoy being able to run those few things that don't have a Linux equivalent.

Does anyone have any ideas where I should go from here?

Thanks
qwertymnb
Level 4
Level 4

Post by qwertymnb »

Upgrade your wine version. What version are you running? This seems to be implemented since august.
So my guess is you are running a wine version that` older (?) Regards

commit cf14c0bde259aea6172b07c258f32a6e484014a4
Author: Zebediah Figura <[email protected]>
Date: Wed Aug 21 23:30:14 2019 -0500

httpapi: Implement HttpCreateHttpHandle().

Signed-off-by: Zebediah Figura <[email protected]>
MythX
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MythX »

Thanks for the reply. I was using Wine 4.03. I upgraded now to 4.18. I'm no longer getting that error, however now instead of the application error, I get no error, but also no action. I would expect the browser to load with the selected form. Instead the window just closes, but no browser opens.

In the console, Wine gives me the following error:
0009:err:httpapi:HttpInitialize Failed to open HTTP service, error 1060.

Any idea what this error is telling me?

Thanks
MythX
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MythX »

Continuing to work this issue, I've made some progress. After creating a new wineprefix, I'm able to get the form to load. It loads into the browser, outside wine.

Now, when I hit submit, it's supposed to make a call to localhost:8001. I get the following message.
wine: Call from 0x7124d3df to unimplemented function httpapi.dll.HttpReceiveRequestEntityBody, aborting

Is this something that can be fixed?
This is wine version 4.18.

Thanks
qwertymnb
Level 4
Level 4

Post by qwertymnb »

Hi,

One thing worth to try i guess is try setting windows version to winxp; maybe it does`nt look anymore for the unimplemented api, but i fear that`s little chance.

If you can compile wine yourself you could try if adding simple stub could help anything.

AFAICT this program is free right *? I`ll open a bugreport for it, and give it a try. If it`s the program below, could you give exact instructions how to trigger the bug? thx

* So is this the program? https://downloads.winlink.org/User%20Pr ... 5-25-0.zip
MythX
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MythX »

Thanks for replying, this has been quite frustrating, I'm so close. I tried changing to winxp, it didn't seem to help. I understand what you mean by adding a stub, but I've got very little experience with C++, I would probably need some direction. I definitely don't have much of a development environment setup.

If you'd like to install and test, the file you found is the correct download. Install is easy and straightforward. It's not free software, but it installs and will start to annoy you to enter a registration key after some time passes, can't remember how long. Unless you have a ham radio call sign though, you won't be able to configure the software for use. You can fake it out though, call sign KE0XXX is not in use, but will pass validation. You need to supply a password, just make something up, and fill in the grid square, use AA78AA. That should be enough to get to the main screen and duplicate my issue.

Don't worry about FCC rules, if you have no radio connected you're not going to violate any.

The main screen is laid out like a typical email client. Perform the following steps to reproduce:
1. Message -> New Message
2. Select Template
3. Pick a standard template from the list, I use ICS USA -> ICS205A (double click)
4. It should open form in a browser.
5. Fill out header, then footer, I think that's enough to pass validation, if not it tells you.
6. Press Submit when done. This is where it stops for me. It should feed the form info back into the application and allow you to post. Instead is just seems to keep retrying the form server and generating errors in the console.

If you stop here, you won't be communicating with any other system, so, use of the fake call sign won't cause any issues.

Under Settings->Form Settings you can see how the form server is configured. It does open a TCP port.

Thanks again for the response. Is there a way I can upload my wine configuration? There were some libraries I had to install using winetricks first.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Is there a way I can upload my wine configuration? There were some libraries I had to install using winetricks first.
Winetricks creates the winetricks.log file in your Wine prefix.
MythX
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MythX »

There it is. Thanks. Here's the content:

w_workaround_wine_bug-34803
remove_mono
fontfix
dotnet20
win7
sound=alsa
remove_mono
dotnet35sp1
vb6run
winxp
qwertymnb
Level 4
Level 4

Post by qwertymnb »

I sent in a patch with a stub that will be in wine-4.19, so the crash should change, i fear into program reporting an error but maybe small chance the program is happy with it; If it errors i guess it needs a real implementation so patience till someone implements this...
qwertymnb
Level 4
Level 4

Post by qwertymnb »

i guess it needs a real implementation so patience till someone implements this...
Well, no prayers needed, one of the developers took this up***, likely included in upcoming wine-4.20 in two weeks. I guess then you`ll see some real progress so little patience till then ;)
***: https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-d ... 53716.html
MythX
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MythX »

Thank you very much. I appreciate the attention on it. I'll wait patiently.
MythX
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MythX »

I just wanted to close the loop on this thread. I installed 4.19, and everything is working. Thanks for the efforts on this. This is awesome.
amcic1999

Post by amcic1999 »

MythX wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:55 pm I haven't had any responses. I'm not sure if that's a sign that I'm just out of luck, or that I should explain something better. I'm not a Wine power user, but I do enjoy being able to run those few things that don't have a Linux equivalent.

Does anyone have any ideas where I should go from here?

Thanks
When I go to load the form (the step that brings it up in the browser), I get an error: Error processing form: Call not implemented.