Installing games in hidden /.wine folder

Questions about Wine on Linux
thefailreloaded

Installing games in hidden /.wine folder

Post by thefailreloaded »

Hello.

I have a fresh installation of Linux Mint 19.2. I installed Wine according to the instructions in the downloads page and installed the staging branch (this is because one of the games I want to install, Warframe, has been reported to only work in this branch).

When I start installing the game, the /.wine folder does not show up in the location selector. I assume this is because the folder is hidden. If I can see the /.wine folder with the file browser that is built in to the OS, is there any way to make the game installer see hidden folders? I don't want to just rename the folder to not have the . because I assume it's there for a reason.

I also tried installing a different game (CNCTFD). The installer for this one also does not see the /.wine folder. Permissions for the folder are set so that my username has the highest privilege and for others it's "List files only". In file management the "Show hidden files" box is ticked.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Installing games in hidden /.wine folder

Post by DarkShadow44 »

When running under wine, you should have a "C:\" drive which you can use. This will map to "~/.wine/drive_c", which should be what you want.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

The "~./wine/" folder is the default folder, and imo i would not use that to set up a particular game or app like that. Preferrably this is used if you intend to quickly run a .exe file of sorts.

Why? (My oppinion):
Games sometimes requires specific hacks and .dll overrides, either through running winetricks to set stuff up, or other means of customizing particular overrides and various dll replacements (like DXVK or whatnot). This means that if you install OTHER games in the same prefix, you might end up having to switch overrides every time you start another game and is probably not the best way to do stuff.

So, for gaming i would either look into something like a GUI that handles prefixes - like Lutris - or use this manually by scripts and other means.

Create a folder in your $HOME folder eg. "~/winegames" , then create a folder under that - "agame".
You can specify this wineprefix by running:

Code: Select all

WINEPREFIX="~/winegames/agame" wine ./game_setup.exe
Ofc the folder can be named whatever you like, but the point being to create separate "prefixes" for each game. Much easier to handle, and you dont have to worry about any custom hacks breaking other games in the same prefix.

You can read more about this here: https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Can_I_store ... 2F.wine.3F
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Cybermax wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:34 am ...
You can specify this wineprefix by running:

WINEPREFIX="~/winegames/agame" wine ./game_setup.exe
Not to be pedantic... But...
The tilda ~ HOME directory operator won't be expanded - when enclosed in quotes (single or double). :lol:

That expression would obviously need to be:

WINEPREFIX=~/"winegames/agame" wine ./game_setup.exe
Bob
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

Pedantic is oki when someone does something wrong...

Thats kinda why i tend to use $HOME instead, but thought i would reply with the same method the op had used... and obviously got it wrong :)

Thanks for the correction.