MIDI: so close!

Questions about Wine on macOS.
lukievan

MIDI: so close!

Post by lukievan »

Hello - I'm new to this project and want to say a big "thank you" to all who put time and energy into it.

I'm on a 2017 Macbook Pro running Mojave 10.14.6 and I'm trying to run an old Windows 95/98/ME program called "CS1xEdit"" which was designed to edit a hardware synth called the Yamaha CS1x.
The_SamminAter
Level 3
Level 3

Re: MIDI: so close!

Post by The_SamminAter »

I don't know if I'll be able to help you run CS1xEdit, but would you mind explaining what happens when you try to run it, and what version of Wine you're trying to run it with?
For example, does it crash immediately, and if so, would you mind attaching the crash report?
You could also collect some info on what's happening by running Wine (not by launching an exe), which will open Wine in terminal. If you launch CS1xEdit from there, you'll be able to see all of what's happening (or failing to happen).
lukievan

Re: MIDI: so close!

Post by lukievan »

I accidentally posted before I was done editing! Here's the full post, with the caveat/update that I was subsequently able to get the app working in PlayOnMac.

I’m on a 2017 MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.6 and I am using WineBottler 1.8.6 to package an old Windows 95/98/ME app called CS1x — it’s a software editor for a hardware synth called the Yamaha CS1x.
https://www.bome.com/products/cs1xedit

I’m using a USB-C to USB adapter to connect to a 1X1 Midi hub and then using MIDI cables connected to the synth. I am getting MIDI signals in and out of the computer and synth and everything is set up correctly in AudioMIDI Setup. I’m also able to bottle and run a different Windows app called “TuneEmUp” and I can connect with and edit the synth parameters successfully, although there are some hiccups. http://www.planet-groove.com/programs.html

But I really want to use the CS1x app — much better interface and options. I’ve tried bottling it in Win95 and also in Win98. And basically, it almost works in both - the app opens and prompts me to select MIDI ports and the correct ports show up in the MIDI pane of the app. I know it’s seeing the MIDI interface correctly because the interface is lighting up when I send from the app to the synth, and it also lights up when I use the synth. When I tried another 5x5 MIDI interface, the ports in the software reflected the different interface, so it’s definitely “seeing” the interface. And I can use the interface and the synth flawlessly with native Mac software.

So - I’m kinda confused b/c it “should” be working. Any clues for me to pursue? I realize I’m supposed to be pretty savvy with the Wine platform and to be honest, I’m not really so much. I searched the forums and read the “MIDI in Wine” page and I still can’t grasp what I should do next. And I can run a command or two in Terminal but beyond that I’m a bit over my head. Thanks for any help!