upgrade vs clean install

Questions about Wine on Linux
electricnight
Level 2
Level 2

upgrade vs clean install

Post by electricnight »

whenever a new wine version is rolled out/installed and a windows program is started, the existing wine prefix is automatically upgraded in first place.

now i wonder if it makes a difference, when extra software like dotnet has been installed before?

will you benefit from doing a fresh install of wine and dotnet or is the upgraded wine prefix incl dotnet just on par in every aspect?
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: upgrade vs clean install

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Usually the upgrade works just fine, keeping all functionality and programs. Only sometimes a bug breaks it, then a fresh WINEPREFIX is useful.
electricnight
Level 2
Level 2

Post by electricnight »

hi darkshadow!

ok, i see - good to know, it is not the case.

looking especially at a dotnet (winetricks) installation, i was under the impression, it could make quite a difference and a bugfix / new working feature could be missed / overlooked this way.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

I mean that can happen, just saying that is usually doesn't. But of course, every upgrade is a potential danger.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

electricnight wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:58 am hi darkshadow!

ok, i see - good to know, it is not the case.

looking especially at a dotnet (winetricks) installation, i was under the impression, it could make quite a difference and a bugfix / new working feature could be missed / overlooked this way.
It is worth it SOME TIME to do a fresh install, but probably not every wine version.
This is the point in having many prefixes - preferrably one for each app - so that if a conflict with eg. some custom winetricks install does not break all your games. Easier to maintain, easier to check for bugs and regressions. Doing a fresh install sometimes, with the aim at keeping hacks/overrides and stuff at the bare minimum is a good way to "upgrade".. but it gets tiresome to do every fortnight :)