Trying To Install Wine On Mint 19.1 - Got A Mess On My Hands

Questions about Wine on Linux
Jaxson897

Trying To Install Wine On Mint 19.1 - Got A Mess On My Hands

Post by Jaxson897 »

I'm a non-coding end user. Totally dependant on auto-installers and auto-uninstallers. I'm trying to get Wine working on Linux Mint 19.1. The first install I used the Menu/Software Manger to pick an install of Wine. I just picked one that I thought would be right on a random guess. So it seemed to have gotten installed and so then I went to install my Windows version AZZ Cardfile program. I used this program as my password manger and I got to have it. So then I go to Menu/Wine/AZZ Cardfile and click on it and nothing happens. It doesn't open. Now, I know this program will work in Wine as I had it installed on Mint 18.1 last year. It worked OK. It had some small hiccups but nothing major that would keep me from using the program.

After I realized my Windows program was not gonna open I decided to uninstall Wine and then try a re-install. First I tried to uninstall Wine through the Synaptic Package Manger. Afterwards, I go to the Menu and look and Wine is still showing up in the Menu along with AZZ Cardfile in subdirectory. So I figure the thing has not been completely uninstalled and I figure I need to get it completely uninstalled to have a successful reinstallation. Well I get on the internet and read a bunch of stuff to run in the terminal to completely nuke Wine out of my system then try another auto-reinstall from Menu/Software Manger. Still doesn't work. Try more nuking commands and a manual install through the terminal this time. During the manual terminal install I get this error message "Wine cannot be installed, you have broken packages".

I don't know what to do now. I seriously thought of reinstalling the entire operating system to start fresh but I got too much work into setting up my current install. Seriously, if I were wealthy, I would pay somebody a good sum of money to clone that AZZ Cardfile program into open source and give it to the world. I've looked at many other "password mangers" in open source and they all suck compared to AZZ Cardfile. I use my passwords constantly when online. I need that program running on Linux.
dimesio

Re: Trying To Install Wine On Mint 19.1 - Got A Mess On My Hands

Post by dimesio »

For starters, you've added dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu disco, plus you somehow must have a xenial repository added as well, as that's what your package manager is trying to install.

Mint 19.x is based on bionic, and that's the repository you should have added. Remove the disco and xenial repositories and delete whatever version of Wine you have installed. If you want to install a WineHQ package, follow the instructions on https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu. Note that you will have to install FAudio before installing Wine. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32192

If you prefer to use your distro's Wine package, ask for help on the Mint forum.
Jaxson897

Post by Jaxson897 »

I followed your link https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu and executed the terminal commands but ran into the "Fix Broken Packages" first error again. Where is a list of the broken packages I need to fix and how do I fix them?

I got the 32 bit architecture enabled and the Wine HQ repository installed. I could not find FAudio doing internet search but found FFAudio in Mint's Software Manager and installed that. I'm thinking that's not the same thing as FAudio that you mentioned.

Here's a shot from Synaptic Package Manager where I tried to install Wine Stable 4.0.2 after I failed to get it installed on the terminal.

https://i.imgur.com/3Mw3Tl6.png
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Where is a list of the broken packages I need to fix and how do I fix them?
The "list" is whatever apt is telling you it can't install. The way to work out dependency issues is to work your way backwards: try installing the first thing apt complains about, see what's blocking that, and try installing that. Repeat until you get to whatever is blocking everything.

As for FAudio, I already gave you a link with instructions for installing it from the OBS. You need to do that if you are going to install the WineHQ packages.