No one is using plain Wine on Mac?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Optimon
Level 1
Level 1

No one is using plain Wine on Mac?

Post by Optimon »

Does installing vanilla Wine on Mac still requires X11, Homebrew and other stuff that scares "ordinary" Mac users?

Point is that majority of Mac users are using third party tools and we can't report bugs even if those bugs are obviously Wine bugs so no one is fixing Mac specific bugs.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: No one is using plain Wine on Mac?

Post by Gcenx »

Optimon wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:17 pm Does installing vanilla Wine on Mac still requires X11, Homebrew and other stuff that scares "ordinary" Mac users
Winehq releases only require XQuarts to be installed before installing a pkg release, using winetricks is the official/unofficial workaround utility and requires more dependencies like cabextract/7za/unrar.
Optimon wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:17 pm Point is that majority of Mac users are using third party tools and we can't report bugs even if those bugs are obviously Wine bugs so no one is fixing Mac specific bugs.
Are you aware of the reason why that's the case?, Do you know exactly what the utility is doing?, The answer is usually no unless your actively developing the utility yourself.

If anyone wants a bug to be resolved then launching wine in a supported manner would ensure the bug report is accepted
Optimon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Optimon »

At least we can get rid of XQuartz installation and why uninstalling Wine still requires MacPorts, command line tools and terminal?

Without some GUI and with hidden c: drive WineHQ "Real" Wine will never get wide usage from Mac users. Which is a shame imo :)
That's O.K. as it isn't Wine development team job to make some fancy user interface but as we know that unpacking WinHQ archive, renaming it to wswine.bundle and putting version txt inside makes Wineskin engine and that Wineskin wrapper is actual Wine with some gui that in 99% cases will mimic Wine version behavior on Mac.

Not asking for supporting Wineskin, just facts :)
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Optimon wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:24 am At least we can get rid of XQuartz installation and why uninstalling Wine still requires MacPorts, command line tools and terminal?

Without some GUI and with hidden c: drive WineHQ "Real" Wine will never get wide usage from Mac users. Which is a shame imo :)
That's O.K. as it isn't Wine development team job to make some fancy user interface but as we know that unpacking WinHQ archive, renaming it to wswine.bundle and putting version txt inside makes Wineskin engine and that Wineskin wrapper is actual Wine with some gui that in 99% cases will mimic Wine version behavior on Mac.

Not asking for supporting Wineskin, just facts :)
I’ll try asking for the XQuartz requirement to be changes and just bundle the libfreetype.6.dylib and libpng15.15.dylib, but I might not happen until winebuild it updated for Catalina supported wine builds.

Funny you should mention Wineskin, the official version is depreciated, I run an updated fork that handles the Engine Repacking directly within Winery.
Information https://portingteam.com/topic/11037-uno ... n-project/
And https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer/releases/latest to grab the Winery version I provide.
The Winery button for manually downloading Engines instead links to my MEGA that provides my more feature rich 64Bit macOS compiles, these have built in gnutls, MoltenVk and other features missing from winehq releases.