Optimized for Mac- 64 bit

Questions about Wine on macOS.
alanforwine

Optimized for Mac- 64 bit

Post by alanforwine »

Hi all,
I used Wine to re-purpose Quicken98 for Windows. It is easy and powerful for my needs and works great on the latest OSX. However, I get messages that it is not optimized for the next version of OSX which will, as you know, be 64 bit only. My confusion is that if I use "About This Mac>System Reportt>Applications" the information shown is 64 bit for Wine as well as for my re-worked Quicken.app.
So, does anyone know why am I getting the "not optimized" warning if the app shows up as a 64 bit program in the report?
Any suggestion or insight is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Alan
rjhancock
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Optimized for Mac- 64 bit

Post by rjhancock »

Probably because Quicken is making calls to 32bit libraries.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Here is a quick explanation, wine is 32Bit, wine64 is 64Bit.
To run an old application like Quicken98 will be a 32Bit application so even if you did “wine64 quicken.exe” wine64 can’t launch it so it’s then passed onto “wine” to launch the 32Bit application.

Even if your .app is pure 64Bit wine isn’t.

If you truly need this application then don’t upgrade to macOS Catalina later this year, hold out until CodeWeaver have releases a way to run 32Bit applications in a pure 64Bit version of macOS.
alanforwine

Post by alanforwine »

Thank you both for your knowledge and input. Now I better understand the issue and will keep an eye on CodeWeaver as it evolves.