Various installers failing to install shortcuts

Questions about Wine on Linux
Zerock

Various installers failing to install shortcuts

Post by Zerock »

I'm having an issue with several installers where they fail to perform miscellaneous filesystem operations or create shortcuts. The one that gives the most helpful errors is Diablo II in which it fails to create the start menu shortcuts, or upon upgrading to the expansion set, it fails to create these shortcuts but also fails to move some files inside the install directory.

I believe this is impacting the functionality of these games I have tried. In Diablo II, after downloading the latest patch, it fails to verify versions, which I suspect is because a file is not in the correct place. For another installer, the Desktop shortcut is never created, leaving me without a way to properly launch the program (as I don't know what command line should be contained in that shortcut).

If it is relevant, I am on Debian unstable with a fresh installation of Wine.
Zerock

Re: Various installers failing to install shortcuts

Post by Zerock »

I would like also to clarify that in the instance of Diablo II, the installer does actively report that it fails some of these file operations, though the other installer I tried silently failed. This is not mere speculation; even the software knows something isn't right.

Any ideas on this?