Halo CE patch fails to find installation - no reg keys?

Questions about Wine on Linux
zyp

Halo CE patch fails to find installation - no reg keys?

Post by zyp »

Hi all, I've got a bit of a head scratcher here. :?
So I decided I'd try out Halo Combat Evolved again.
I'm running Devuan ASCII i386, with Wine 1.8.7.
I mounted my iso of the game, installed normally (with my legit, very old cd key off the back of the sleeve of my broken original disc)
I noticed the following output in the terminal window from which I ran the installer:

Code: Select all

err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackW copy error 0 L"C:\\users\\zyp\\Temp\\IXP000.TMP\\shfolder.dll" -> L"C:\\windows\\system32\\shfolder.dll"
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
x11drv: Can't store handle for display fd
Initially, I thought nothing of these messages.

Of course, next came the patch. The stock executable still obviously includes the cd check, and this won't work with my image, despite being set as drive D: in winecfg. Upon attempting to patch to 1.10 (or any other version up until this latest one, as well such as 1.08 which also removed the cd check) When I attempt to use these patches, I am greeted with:
"Halo is not installed on your computer.
This patch requires Halo to run."

It doesn't matter where I run the executable, it always gives the same message, leading me to believe that this may be connected to the messages displayed in the console during install. Could it be that it's failed to create the necessary registry keys, and the patcher is trying to use them to find the install?

I duckduck'd around a little bit, and found two interesting threads. One, where a user was attempting to patch a pirated, "portable" copy of the game (i think I've seen that pirate copy floating around before) and being presented with the same error. The relevance here would be the lack of registry keys created by the pirate copy.
Another, where one user is explaining how to update to 1.10, including a manual method using a zipped test build (except the link is dead, they didn't archive it, and I can't find it anywhere else :x) and a registry patch to update the stored version number for Halo... leading me to believe that I am, in fact, lacking registry entries.

I took a peek at the registry, and sure enough I can't find any relevant entries.

At the moment, I can think of two ways to resolve this.
One would be if someone had a copy of the test build with the broken link. I find this one somewhat unlikely. Even if someone did, this would not be the best option. It would be ideal to be able to use the release build of the 1.10 patch.
Another would be to install the game on a borrowed windows machine at the default path, take note of the registry keys created during installation, and create those in wine on my own machine, but I still don't know if this is feasible.

I looked at the AppDB page for this game as well, and was somewhat surprised that no one has mentioned this issue before. I followed the given install instructions to a T.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks. :D
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Halo CE patch fails to find installation - no reg keys?

Post by jkfloris »

I'm running Devuan ASCII i386, with Wine 1.8.7.
Wine 1.8.7 is very old and isn't supported anymore. Update to a recent version and try again.