Wizard101 throws a fatal error on launcher menu

Questions about Wine on Linux
MovieNight

Wizard101 throws a fatal error on launcher menu

Post by MovieNight »

I've been trying to use Wizard101 for awhile on my computer running Manjaro. I've used Proton, PlayOnLinux, and, of course, Wine to get it to work. None seem to be successful, and they all give me the same error. When the launcher for the game first starts, it throws an error listed here, entitled "Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x11289906)" and says that the program needs to close. Then, the game actually launches, but it immediately gives a pop-up with "Connection lost!" on it and a text bar at the bottom saying it cannot connect to game servers. I made sure I had a full system update and, as far as I know, everything is up to date. The AppDB here for it did not seem to provide any useful information, nor did the pages for it for Proton and PlayOnLinux respectively.

Any ideas? Sorry, I'm a noob when it comes to wine.
dimesio

Re: Wizard101 throws a fatal error on launcher menu

Post by dimesio »

PlayOnLinux and Proton are not supported here, and neither is needed for Wizard101. It works fine for me in 4.15.

Try a clean 32 bit wineprefix in 4.15, with no third party apps. If it still doesn't work, post terminal output.
https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_do_I_cr ... _system.3F
https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_can_I_g ... tput.29.3F
MovieNight

Post by MovieNight »

PlayOnLinux and Proton are not supported here,
Sorry! I just figured I'd mention it just in case.

Here's the terminal output, unfortunately I still got the 'Connection lost!' error. The terminal output was a doozy, over 21,000 lines of mostly the same error! "0069:err:ntdll:RtlLeaveCriticalSection section 0x________ is not acquired" with the same handful of strings of eight characters to fill in the blank.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Code: Select all

002b:err:module:load_so_dll failed to load .so lib "/usr/bin/../lib32/wine/l3codeca.acm.so": libmpg123.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Install libmpg123--both 32 and 64 bit.
The terminal output was a doozy, over 21,000 lines of mostly the same error! "0069:err:ntdll:RtlLeaveCriticalSection section 0x________ is not acquired" with the same handful of strings of eight characters to fill in the blank.
Don't worry about that. Wine spams my terminal endlessly with that while Wizard101 is running.
MovieNight

Post by MovieNight »

dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Code: Select all

[0905/121504:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(226)] Running without renderer sandbox
That is not a Wine message, nor is it from Wizard101. Are you by chance trying to run it through Steam? If you are, try installing just the vanilla game to a clean wineprefix and running it directly. That's how I've always run it.
MovieNight

Post by MovieNight »

Are you by chance trying to run it through Steam?
No? I don't understand, I was running it through just wine in the new 32bit wineprefix I made for it like you told me.