Crash: "Unhandled exception: page fault on read access ..."

Questions about Wine on macOS.
abc123
Level 1
Level 1

Crash: "Unhandled exception: page fault on read access ..."

Post by abc123 »

Hi all,

I'm new to Wine, hope I have not overlooked anything.

I am trying to use wine-4.7 on a Mac (10.13.6) to run a software named "Ztree" (version 4) used in some behavioural economics labs.

I followed these instructions -- http://economistry.com/2013/05/run-z-tree-on-a-mac/ -- and things worked swimmingly for a few weeks.

Now Ztree keeps crashing, seemingly out of the blue. I get this error: Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x00435da6).

The full backtrace is here: https://pastebin.com/fHgnVV0P

I tried to uninstall (and re-install) Wine using sudo port uninstall --/opt/local/bin wine but it failed. I also installed wine32 and updated macports, to no avail.

The error I get looks very similar to the ones people have reported here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12390&view=next and here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22177

Trying to adapt the advice given in the second case, I copied Ztree from /Applications/ztree-4_1_7 to .wine/drive_c/Program Files and also to .wine32/drive_c/Program Files, did cd to each directory, and then wine ztree.exe. Ztree still crashes in both cases, with the same error.

Any pointers? I would be much indebted.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Crash: "Unhandled exception: page fault on read access .

Post by Gcenx »

I wouldn't bother using wine from macports. Instead use the releases from here instead you could try Wine-Staging-4.14 the current release.
abc123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abc123 »

Thanks! That helped, as ztree no longer crashes but still does not function normally.
I tried to manually remove wine, then installed Wine Staging.

When I open it from Applications and type in the following...

$ cd ../../../Applications/ztree-4_1_7/
$ for i in 1 2
> do
> wine zleaf.exe /name "Subject $i"
> done

... it runs just once, not twice. I get this output:

Code: Select all

002a:fixme:esync:do_esync eventfd not supported on this platform.
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.60.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:49: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.60.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.60.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:49: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.60.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
002a:fixme:winsock:set_dont_fragment IP_DONTFRAGMENT for IPv4 not supported in this platform
002c:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x10cfefc 0x0): stub
... which seems to be similar to the one reported here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30123

I do not quite follow the conversation there, though (apologies); should I try and partition my drive to get around this problem (I have never done that)? Or is it a bug -- perhaps this one: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44419 -- that I cannot do anything about? Or perhaps I removed too many libraries when trying to get rid of the old Wine, in which case I could perhaps get them back?

I'd appreciate your advice on how to proceed.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

abc123 wrote:Thanks! That helped, as ztree no longer crashes but still does not function normally.
I tried to manually remove wine, then installed Wine Staging.

When I open it from Applications and type in the following...

$ cd ../../../Applications/ztree-4_1_7/
$ for i in 1 2
> do
> wine zleaf.exe /name "Subject $i"
> done

... it runs just once, not twice. I get this output:

/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.60.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.60.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
002a:fixme:winsock:set_dont_fragment IP_DONTFRAGMENT for IPv4 not supported in this platform
... which seems to be similar to the one reported here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30123

I do not quite follow the conversation there, though (apologies); should I try and partition my drive to get around this problem (I have never done that)? Or is it a bug -- perhaps this one: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44419 -- that I cannot do anything about? Or perhaps I removed too many libraries when trying to get rid of the old Wine, in which case I could perhaps get them back?

I'd appreciate your advice on how to proceed.
You installed wine previously using macports you don’t go removing it manually but use the built in removal system, removing manually isn’t a good idea.

You can’t launch wine multiple times at once via terminal it will only launch one time, to launch multiple times would required a different terminal session for each launch or making a launcher to directly launch the application.

This one can be ignored esync can’t function on macOS

The following can be ignored safely. This is caused by a few changes within macOS and also due to macOS Winehq packages being cross-compiled. I know as I also cross-compile wine for macOS.

This can also just be ignored

This would be the only “real” issue among the messages but the application was working and I don’t see how a stub for GetCurrentPackageId would cause any issues for the application. (I’m thinking the application had a built in update checking system?)

abc123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abc123 »

You can’t launch wine multiple times at once via terminal it will only launch one time, to launch multiple times would required a different terminal session for each launch or making a launcher to directly launch the application.
Thanks for this, it helped me to get one step further; with Automator and Shell I now manage to launch the application zleaf.exe multiple times, as needed.

However, an important feature that I need (and used to have before, when I had Wine installed via Macports) is that the multiple Zleaves can interact with each other via Ztree. Now, when I launch multiple Zleaves, only one of them connects to Ztree but not the rest. How do I fix this?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

abc123 wrote:
Thanks for this, it helped me to get one step further; with Automator and Shell I now manage to launch the application zleaf.exe multiple times, as needed.

However, an important feature that I need (and used to have before, when I had Wine installed via Macports) is that the multiple Zleaves can interact with each other via Ztree. Now, when I launch multiple Zleaves, only one of them connects to Ztree but not the rest. How do I fix this?
That sounds rather strange.

You could try my custom Wineskin Engines extract them using 7zip from terminal same for the provided runtime the ReadMe file explains how to use the extracted Engines

Basically extract the .tar.7z you would see wswine.bundle within that is a compiled version of wine that can be moved to another lost soon and added to PATH along with adding the runtime as explained within the ReadMe this should give you something much closer to a macports. But also being built with MoltenVK/SDL2 gnutls (needed for networking) etc
abc123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abc123 »

I am sorry, I do not quite follow. I downloaded WineSkin but it is not clear to me from the readme and/or your description what to do next.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

abc123 wrote:I am sorry, I do not quite follow. I downloaded WineSkin but it is not clear to me from the readme and/or your description what to do next.
I don’t know where you got “install Wineskin” from, I said you can extract one of the Engines I provide for my Wineskin fork.
Also the official Wineskin project hasn’t been updated in years!

Do the following;
Extract an Engine you want to test
Enter the wswine.bundle
Rename or move contents to another location (optional)

export PATH="/path/to/wswine.bundle/bin:$PATH"
Download runtime
Extract runtime

export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH="/path/to/runtime/lib:$DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH"
With the two abode options set within Terminal you can now use the extracted wine compile.
see the faq section I added here
abc123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abc123 »

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I don’t know where you got “install Wineskin” from
I downloaded the files from the link you provided in your previous post (I thought this is what you wanted me to do?):
https://mega.nz/#F!7ZxFQYDB!7CJRmNuPReBcbsp0-rfjqg

Which Engine would I need for my ztree and zleaf to work?

Thanks!