Serious UI scaling problems with 4K monitor (Daz Studio)

Questions about Wine on Linux
Crotalidae75

Serious UI scaling problems with 4K monitor (Daz Studio)

Post by Crotalidae75 »

I finally managed to get Daz Studio to run properly with Wine (which requires a PostgresSQL setup), under my Kubuntu 19.04 desktop, but I have a serious problem -- the fonts are almost unreadably small under my 4K monitor. I have searched for methods to scale the DPI on the emulated desktop, to no avail. Note that setting the DPI from within Winecfg has no effect on the scaling of Daz Studio itself. The program fonts remain tiny, while the menu bar for the program does scale. This is of no real use, though.

Is there any way to force a program (or the entire Wine desktop) to display at a higher DPI scaling? I am running a 28" ASUS 4K monitor. Unfortunately, the issue with the scaling is bad enough to make the program unusable unless I switch resolutions, but I don't really want to be doing that as it creates other problems for me. Also unfortunately, Daz Studio itself has NO option to scale the UI or fonts.
13gallows

Re: Serious UI scaling problems with 4K monitor (Daz Studio)

Post by 13gallows »

I am having a huge problem with this too. carla plugins, reaper, and a lot of stand alone don't scale properly, there isonly one distribution that it works properly on and it's unusable.
if you figure anything out, please post update.
koloved

Post by koloved »

You can try to use "winecfg" , write it in Terminal
Graphics tab
Screen resolution to 144 dpi

Let me know if it works !
sfjuocekr

Post by sfjuocekr »

Setting DPI to 192 works for "most" programs, there are some edge cases that just dont like to be scaled or flatout ignore it.

For example the Rockstar Games Launcher, set to 96 you can drag and resize it no problem even after closing a game. With scaling set to 192, after closing a game the launcher resizes itself and becomes unusable.

All VST plugins ignore the DPI setting, the window that is rendered does not (I can tell from the title bar). On Windows these VST plugins are usually resizeable, but the window created by wine can't be resized.