v4.14 - MetaTrader 4 (MT4) Closes on start

Questions about Wine on Linux
drayzen
Level 1
Level 1

v4.14 - MetaTrader 4 (MT4) Closes on start

Post by drayzen »

Since automatically updating to v4.14 on Mint 19.2 Cinnamon, launching MetaTrader 4 that was working with 4.13 now shows only a menu bar and window frame before automatically closing.
Mesa was recently automatically updated to v19.0.8 from 19.0.2, so I'm wondering if perhaps there could be a conflict there causing this rather than just the new wine version alone..?
Are there any debugging process I can do or logs I can provide to work out the cause of this issue?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-08-21 18-53-45.png
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: v4.14 - MetaTrader 4 (MT4) Closes on start

Post by Bob Wya »

drayzen wrote:Since automatically updating to v4.14 on Mint 19.2 Cinnamon, launching MetaTrader 4 that was working with 4.13 now shows only a menu bar and window frame before automatically closing.
Mesa was recently automatically updated to v19.0.8 from 19.0.2, so I'm wondering if perhaps there could be a conflict there causing this rather than just the new wine version alone..?
Are there any debugging process I can do or logs I can provide to work out the cause of this issue?
@drayzen

How do you think posting a screenshot of a black / blank window, is going to enable anyone to help you with this issue? :roll:

We'd need, at bare minimum, the Wine terminal output, the command used to run Wine and what overrides you have used for your WINEPREFIX.

See: WineHQ FAQ (especially section 10).

Please use the forum Code tags when posting terminal commands, or output, inline:

Code: Select all

Thanks
Bob
drayzen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drayzen »

Bob Wya wrote: @drayzen

How do you think posting a screenshot of a black / blank window, is going to enable anyone to help you with this issue? :roll:

We'd need, at bare minimum, the Wine terminal output, the command used to run Wine and what overrides you have used for your WINEPREFIX.

See: WineHQ FAQ (especially section 10).

Please use the forum Code tags when posting terminal commands, or output, inline:

Thanks
Bob
Thanks, I think.. I included the screen capture as, not yet knowing what else to provide, I thought it might give someone an idea at what point in the loading process the issue was occurring. I'm coming here asking for help so don't need to be made to feel like an idiot in the process..
I also have the newer version of this software, MT5, installed which does still work, so I have included the terminal outputs for each in case a difference is of help with diagnosing.
I have not modified the command lines in any way, they are as per was set up by Wine.
The outputs were too large to place inline so are attached as .txt in a .zip, as the forum doesn't allow .txt uploads for some reason.

I'm also not sure whether Wine and the Cinnamon Menu are playing nicely as I noticed in the menu editor that there is a folder structure for Wine that is not reflected in the actual menu. Also since going in an copying the command line from the MT4 link's properties it has now disappeared from the menu for some reason and has not returned after a reboot. Screen capture attached.

thanks guys
Attachments
MTx Terminal Outputs.zip
(3.76 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Cinnamon Menu Wine.png
drayzen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drayzen »

Unfortunately I can not edit the above post so have to add some duplication of content..

In relation to the above menu issue I have found that the missing MT4 item shows when using the menu search function and has a '(Env)' suffix appended.
I tried searching for the meaning of this '(Env)', though Google wasn't very helpful here.
Attachments
Cinnamon Menu Wine.png
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Screenshots of your menu are useless for debugging, but FYI, there are long-known issues with the Mint menu. https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27706

Looking at your log:

drayzen@PC-1:~$ 002b:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
I don't know if that's the cause of this particular problem, but it is a problem that can prevent apps from working. Do what it says: install winbind.

You mentioned this problem first appeared after upgrading both Wine and Mesa. An easy way to tell if it's a regression in Wine is to downgrade Wine to 4.13. If that fixes the problem, then it is a regression and you should file a bug.
drayzen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drayzen »

dimesio wrote:Screenshots of your menu are useless for debugging, but FYI, there are long-known issues with the Mint menu. https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27706

Looking at your log:

drayzen@PC-1:~$ 002b:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
I don't know if that's the cause of this particular problem, but it is a problem that can prevent apps from working. Do what it says: install winbind.

You mentioned this problem first appeared after upgrading both Wine and Mesa. An easy way to tell if it's a regression in Wine is to downgrade Wine to 4.13. If that fixes the problem, then it is a regression and you should file a bug.
After installing 4.15 today it's started working again, without having installed winbind, though the error is obviously still there.
Menu item is still missing though, need to look at that further yet..
I'll send it to the Mint folks again as that seems the only way it will get fixed.
Attachments
Wine v4.15 - MT4 (Working) Terminal Output.txt.zip
(2.94 KiB) Downloaded 122 times