Trouble with Galactic Civilization 3 and multithreading?

Questions about Wine on Linux
Myconv

Trouble with Galactic Civilization 3 and multithreading?

Post by Myconv »

I wasn't sure whether to put this in this forum or the Linux sub form and I don't see any posting guides for this.

Right now there is a free weekend trial of the game GC3 going on, so if I could please get help before that ends, that would be great.

I run Mint 18.3 I have a Geforce 750. I use Nvidia 384 driver. I tried using a latter driver and my OS wouldn't load. I don't know of Mint is compatible with latter drivers, I do remember Wine complaining a few times about my older driver. Mint help says that such a driver is fine, and have even suggested using 340. Noveau doesn't work for me at all. I had to go through great pains with alot of help to get Noveau blacklisted because it was causing system freeze ups and other issues and driver manager was not able to make Linux use the Nvidia driver.

First, when I try to try to launch the game with no changes I get "failed to initialize display" and the game doesn't load.

So I found something that said to put
PROTON_USE_WINED3D11=1 %command%
in launch option, which causes the game to load and sort of play, but there are a number of issues.

All planets generated including home planet whether tutorial or quick start or whatever generate as "Type 0 dead planets devoid of life.". Players tell me this should not be so.

I can't build anything on planet aside from space dock which technically isn't built on the planet, because it says there is no space. I'm not sure if that's normal for barren planets or not. I'll edit in whether that is normal once I get the answer.

When I go to view the planet screen, I get bleed through from the previous screen.
This is what it is suppose to look like. https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... FDFED2405/
This is what it looks like for me. https://postimg.cc/yJ9dM7fb

Ships are suppose to be able to travel the complete distance of the green path. But in my games the ship moves a bit but can then can move no more despite the game showing more green path.
The game is HEAVILY multi-threaded and the path stuff is absolutely threaded every which way. Maybe the port to linux is not threading the way the game expects.
Is what I was told. Is there some issue getting Wine to work with multi threading?

There are probably other issues, too just not familiar with how the game is suppose to go so it is hard for me to spot them. I think there is suppose to be a larger galaxy screen like this https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1838219764 that I am not sure if it's because the games not functioning right or because I just don't know how.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Trouble with Galactic Civilization 3 and multithreading?

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Proton isn't really supported here, did you try vanilla wine? And in theory, multithreading works just fine with wine.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Myconv wrote:I wasn't sure whether to put this in this forum or the Linux sub form and I don't see any posting guides for this.

Right now there is a free weekend trial of the game GC3 going on, so if I could please get help before that ends, that would be great.

I run Mint 18.3 I have a Geforce 750. I use Nvidia 384 driver. I tried using a latter driver and my OS wouldn't load. I don't know of Mint is compatible with latter drivers, I do remember Wine complaining a few times about my older driver. Mint help says that such a driver is fine, and have even suggested using 340.

Mint 18.3 is not really an appropriate OS version for gaming on (as all your software packages will be obsolete).
You'd want to update to Mint 19.1 (or whatever the current release is).
Certainly that Nvidia driver version is obsolete (for your specific graphics card model).

You can track Proton issues, with your game, here: Github : ValveSoftware/Proton : Issues : [whitelist] Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition (202200) #229
Note: that it's a one issue per game policy.

As DarkShadow44 has already stated, Proton is not supported on the WineHQ site.
It's built as a heavily customised version of Wine, with various third party addons.

Bob
Myconv

Post by Myconv »

I don't know whether I am using Wine or Proton. with that command, with Wine as part of the name, isn't that using Wine?

How does one use Wine with Steam?
Note: that it's a one issue per game policy.
What does that mean?

BTW,that link is GC 2, and searching the side for Galactic Civilizations 3 doesn't turn up anything.

I got a log 1.7mb big, should I provide it here?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@Myconv

Sorry I meant: Galactic Civilizations III (226860) #1508.

Checkout: Steam Play ; for a Valve overview of what the Proton Wine wrapper is.

There are loads of other articles about Steam Play (consumer facing name) / Proton (backend implementation) online, e.g. It's used via the native Linux Steam Client.

Again, I'll reiterate, this Wine wrapper (Valve's Proton) is not supported on the WineHQ website.
See: WineHQ FAQ: 8.7 I used a third party application (PlayOnLinux, WineBottler, etc.) to install or manage applications in Wine and need help
I would suggest you read through the rest of WineHQ FAQ, while you are at it...
This is actually expected of new user's of Wine... Otherwise you'll be "stumbling about in the dark".
Wine is not the easiest of tools to use.

Bob
Myconv

Post by Myconv »

Sorry Bob wys, call me stupid if you must, but most of that does not not seem to answer any of my issues

For example "https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/1508" I see not a single helpful word in this thread, did you even read it before posting? All it says is " that pressing the Play button in the Steam client is sufficient."but I clearly said in my original post that was not the case for me! (or others judging by replies that never got answers)

Similarly the next two links are ancient promotional information saying Proton will be built into Steam. So what?!? I know that, but it's not working right!!!!!
Bob Wya wrote:@Myconv
Checkout: Steam Play ; for a Valve overview of what the Proton Wine wrapper is.
It's amazing how uninformative that link is, like despite there being a FAQ about what steam play is, the link really only addresses that subject, it doesn't explain what steam play is! it says you can download games anywhere, like outside of the Steam client launcher? Otherwise that's how steam works, you install steam and you install games from on various devices, how is this any different?!? I mean this isn't a description of "Steam play", it's a description of Steam itself! a description of "Steam"! Also what does this have to do with my issue???!?

How do I use Wine with Steam and hopefully make this game work right???
DarkShadow44 wrote:Proton isn't really supported here, did you try vanilla wine? And in theory, multithreading works just fine with wine.
You got to tell me how to do that with a Steam game though if you want me to do that.