Wine process killing

Questions about Wine on Linux
dundir
Level 1
Level 1

Wine process killing

Post by dundir »

Occasionally when running applications in wine, wine will hang or lockup my Xenvironment.

Its necessary at that point to switch to another tty, and kill the processes manually and then manually cleanup the environment.
Its a lot of manual effort and this usually involves a lot of kill -9 signals to cleanup defunct processes.

Is there a way to kill the parent process (wine-server) and have the other child processes exit cleanly.

I've tried a number of different ways and inevitably I end up with defunct processes that requires manual cleanup.

Under Windows this isn't really a problem since once a parent process exits or is closed all child processes exit.
On Linux the behavior is different and init becomes the new parent ID for these processes if wine-server is unable to exit cleanly.

Does anyone know of a way to minimize this cleanup effort?
Is this something that would need to be addressed with the Developer Mailing list?
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Wine process killing

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Did you already try "wineserver -k"? Because that kills ALL wine processes fairly cleanly.
dundir
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dundir »

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that flag. That seemed to fix it...

Edit: I spoke too soon, it seemed to help with cleanup initially but when I tested it just now from a clean state its not actually killing processes for a running wineserver just seemed to help with clearing up some of the Coherant_UI procs that normally become defunct.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Do the processes run in the default WINEPREFIX? Because "wineserver -k" also needs to know the WINEPREFIX.
dundir
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dundir »

Thanks. My installation does not use the default WINEPREFIX. Passing the correct WINEPREFIX solved the issues with cleanup.

Thanks again.