Wine 4.13 on Ubuntu 19.04 - can't update

Questions about Wine on Linux
gfunk
Level 1
Level 1

Wine 4.13 on Ubuntu 19.04 - can't update

Post by gfunk »

Hi guys
wine has been updated but there is some package conflict now... is this all because of that audio package that is required? it's really annoying to have to add another PPA for that one package... please see what I'm getting below - happens on two of my machines

sudo apt dist upgrade:
The following packages have been kept back:
winehq-staging

sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-staging:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
winehq-staging : Depends: wine-staging (= 4.13~disco)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

sudo apt install --install-recommends wine-staging:
wine-staging : Depends: wine-staging-amd64 (= 4.13~disco) but 4.12.1~disco is to be installed
Depends: wine-staging-i386 (= 4.13~disco)

sudo apt-get install wine-staging-i386:
wine-staging-i386:i386 : Depends: libfaudio0:i386 (>= 19.06.07) but it is not installable
Recommends: libodbc1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libsane:i386 but it is not going to be installed or
libsane1:i386
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wine 4.13 on Ubuntu 19.04 - can't update

Post by jkfloris »

it's really annoying to have to add another PPA for that one package
You could download the deb-packages from the OBS server:
libfaudio0 64 bit
libfaudio0 32 bit
and install the packages with:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i libfaudio0_19.08-0~disco_amd64.deb libfaudio0_19.08-0~disco_i386.deb
If you still have issues, please post the output of:

Code: Select all

grep -r ^deb /etc/apt/sources.list*
gfunk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gfunk »

Hi thanks for the reply,

I tried to install those packages but they depend on libstb0 and libstb0:i386, after installing those two I got it going again and was able to update Wine.

What I'm still worried about is every Wine (staging) user on Ubuntu is likely going to have the same issue?

If libfaudio is not going to be added to the wine PPA can this page at least get updated with easy instructions for installing it:

https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

(the hazard sign and thread about libfaudio are missable/confusing for new users)

scared to ask but is the Wine stable PPA going to break in future too?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

gfunk wrote: What I'm still worried about is every Wine (staging) user on Ubuntu is likely going to have the same issue?
Yes; beginning with 4.13, the staging maintainer is no longer reverting the FAudio patches, so libfaudio will be required for staging going forward. It has already been required for the development branch for months.
scared to ask but is the Wine stable PPA going to break in future too?
It's not likely to happen before wine-5.0, but yes, everything in the development branch will become part of the next stable release next year.
gfunk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gfunk »

libfaudio packages need to be added to the existing wine PPA for ease of installation, is this not possible?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

gfunk wrote:libfaudio packages need to be added to the existing wine PPA for ease of installation, is this not possible?
FAudio is not part of the Wine project, so no, it is not going to be added to the WineHQ repository (which FYI is not a PPA).

The FAudio issue is going to go away by itself. Debian Testing already provides it and Ubuntu 19.10 will provide it in their standard repositories. Ubuntu 19.04 goes EOL next January and 16.04 isn't built with FAudio at all because the SDL2 it provides is too old. That leaves Debian 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 as the only distros that will need outside FAudio packages for more than a few months, and by now anyone using Wine in those distro versions will have already installed it.
gfunk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gfunk »

dimesio wrote:
gfunk wrote:libfaudio packages need to be added to the existing wine PPA for ease of installation, is this not possible?
Ubuntu 19.10 will provide it in their standard repositories.
Ok I guess that gets most people out of trouble, depending on when Wine stable gets updated. Can someone update the wine installation instructions with easy steps to install libfaudio?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Instructions for installing FAudio packages from the OBS are in viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32192&p=121601#p121601. For distros that provide it, the distro FAudio packages should be pulled in automatically as a dependency by our Wine packages.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

dimesio wrote:FAudio is not part of the Wine project, so no, it is not going to be added to the WineHQ repository (which FYI is not a PPA).
Its a policy debate, cos it is absolutely technically possible.

That said, it COULD happen that 18.04 / Debian 10 will get those packages eventually, but the way i look at it (only justification really) is:

1. wine-dev / wine-staging is "beta" software (testing/unstable). This means unconventional packages.
2. wine-stable (as of now 4.0, and does not require faudio library) is release quality, and SHOULD not require unstable/non-standard packages.

This means IF wine-stable-5.0 is to be built for Ubuntu 18.04 without 18.04 actually having the required packages, i will definitely argue for NOT building 5.0 for 18.04 at all.

One can expect experimental packages with experimental software, so downloading from OBS/adding PPA's/building yourself is more or less expected when dealing with wine-dev/-staging.

There are other ways to get around this (Like Steam does, or the other available custom wine packages - GE/TKg and such that sometimes Lutris uses). I believe it has also been discussed a bit about providing XAudio the same way that Mono is provided (As pre-compiled packages not requiring a library).

EDIT: Me thinks all Lutris builds also require libFAudio now, so disregard that.
gfunk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gfunk »

Cybermax wrote: 2. wine-stable (as of now 4.0, and does not require faudio library) is release quality, and SHOULD not require unstable/non-standard packages.
Yep that's basically what I was getting at, keep wine easy to install for new users